photographic 'step wedge'

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Deryck, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Deryck

Deryck Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, I am from Denmark and am reading Tim Rudman's book on toning. I would now like to get into some serious toning myself, and for this I need a so-called 'STEP WEDGE'. Could anyone tell me of a mail-order firm or some such in the U.S. or Worldwide, where I can order a step wedge?

Thanks,
    Deryck

2. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Deryck. The only step wedges I could find were smaller than I liked, so I made my own on 35mm film, taking close-ups of a gray card. Works great, and cheaper too.

3. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Deryck,

Welcome to APUG! Like you, I've been reading (all of) Dr. Rudman's books and have decided to get one myself. I'm currently in France and really couldn't find anything here in Europe. So I've ordered one from Freestyle in the US. Check out this link (hope it works): http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=1239

rachelle

4. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Freestyle has them. The brand name is Stouffer. I tried calling Stouffer directly but that was not very helpful. In the end I bought one from an outlet like freestyle. The View Camera Store has them also. I might have bought it from them actually. Both are sponsors here.

5. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  6. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Photographers Formulary has them in two sizes. They have an MF size for 120 and an LF size for 4x5 and larger. Kodak used to sell step wedges in 8x10 sheets. IDK if they are still available.

PE

7. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you are using LF cameras, get the 4x5 size and you will likely be happier.

8. edtbjon

edtbjon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had no problem ordering directly via email from Stouffer.net . They don't run a web shop as such, but still good service and quick delivery, given the fact that they sent the step wedges to Sweden. The shipping and handling from the US to Europe was $10.
    For my work the 4X5 the most useful one and is called "TP 4 x 5". They are sold in 21 and 31 step versions (where the 21 steps have .15 or 1/2 step intevals and the 31 step has .10 or 1/3 step intervals).
    If you are using 35mm or MF film the step wedges are made in those sizes too if you plan to use them from the enlarging head, depending on your enlarger size. (The advantage here is that you "calibrate" with your personal enlarger setup.) The 4X5 size is the most useful if you are going to contact print the step wedge directly on the paper. In short, bigger is better, but it all depends on your needs and your equipment.
    Finally, if you're really "fuzzy" about exact readouts, they sell calibrated step wedges too. I.e. every step is measured with a correctly calibrated densitometer and the read outs are recorded in a sheet which comes with the step wedge. Now, most users find the normal "non-calibrated" step wedges good enough. (The calibrated step wedges cost about $9 more.)

//Björn

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  9. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've ordered direct from Stouffer myself, with excellent service and at a better price than the other retailers. I personally prefer the T3110, and contact print it to determine paper speeds and contrast ranges. Click the link: http://www.stouffer.net/TransPage.htm

11. Deryck

Deryck Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all you guys out there for your rapid responses to 'STEP WEDGES'.
    Analog rules!
    Deryck

12. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Stouffer directly fine with me also - in New Zealand