Photographing a veterinary practice - blog update.

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by sar-photo, Jun 10, 2010.

1. sar-photo

sar-photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Earlier this year I spent several days photographing a local veterinary practice here in Scotland and I have posted the results on my blog.

http://sar-photography.typepad.com/

Please take a look and I'd appreciate any comments - or questions!

Cheers
    Simon

2. sar-photo

sar-photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    53 views and not one comment - jeez, why do I bother?

3. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have a stronger stomach than I do.
    I managed to get a couple photos past the sheep's head. Then it got too much for me.
    What can I say, I'm a wuss... :smile:
    BTW, compliments on the project. Good documentary stuff.

4. Alex1994

Alex1994 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Excellent photos, mono really brings out the harsh reality of it all.

5. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most interesting, and well done. Excellent photos, and I agree with Alex that monochrome is well suited for the subject.
    I too have been spending time at the vet's recently, but not for photography. Must be the silly season for dogs.

6. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a really excellent series, great to look at indeed. I'm sure the vets will be impressed with this documentary. A few years back we were at a friends place for dinner (he is a vet) when a call came for a farm dog which had impaled itself on a stick. Blood and guts everywhere, but we managed to stitch it up and stabilise it enough to get back to our roast!
    Vets do a great job in sometimes appalling conditions, so it's good to see a series like this.

7. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you need to get closer and make more use of angles and perspective. There's a very same approach to a lot of the photos and I think you need to engage and commit more. The best documentary photography makes you feel as if you're right there, in the scene, immersed, and elevates itself beyond being a photograph.

Obviously sometimes one can't always get close - but it's a give and take. If you're not close enough or immersed enough the feeling of shared space isnt there.

Shared space is important.

As is constructive criticism and feedback - which isn't always free nor is it guaranteed. :smile:

8. Keith H

Keith H Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Simon, an interesting project following the vets showing life is not like 'All creatures great and small' . It can not be easy documenting the vets at work whilst not getting in their way, others have commented about viewpoints and angles which would be valid comments had this all been set up in a studio, but obviously they are not.

9. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keith, the trick is in being there but not there. Situational awareness is of utmost importance. Respecting but sharing their space. It's all related and no studio should ever be involved.

10. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Given the circumstances, I think the photos are very good. I think clayne's idea of shared space would be a challenge indeed, not least because vets tend to have animals' lives as their priority, rather than 'sharing their space' with photographers. That said, I think you could try to develop some characterisation of the workers by shooting them in their breaks, as they arrive and leave work, you may be able to get some nice studies of them outside of their 'vet' role in that way.

11. xxloverxx

xxloverxx Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Very informative photos, but do get closer (if you can bear it.)

12. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I found it very interesting and thought it was an excellent idea for a photo series. I'm not sure I agree about poking in closer. You have presented this to us like we were there as observers, and I feel as if I have experienced some of it. To me, that it a quite successful result.
    Cheers, Richard