Photographs Do Not Bend and "Real" photos

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Jeremy, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Took a trip to downtown Dallas today to pick up some mat board to mount my finish print exchange images on, but couldn't find what I needed.

Well, when I am downtown I can't help but stop by Routh street and wander through the two galleries down there. While in Photographs Do Not Bend the owner was showing some photos by Esteban Pastorino Diaz to a couple interested in buying some contemporary work for their collection. While showing them the prints the gentleman in the couple said "These are digital prints, aren't they?" to which the gallery owner replied:

"Yes, this is one of the digital sample prints, but this here <takes out another photo from the print box and hands it to the couple>, this is the Real photo."

The "Real" photo was a c-print and not a digital inkjet :smile:

I thought I would share this with the community as it made me think of you guys and girls which brought a smile to my face.

2. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

yeah... but was the real print made from a real camera or a funny digital one...?

:smile:

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly, the images he was showing were made with a Pentax 6x7 flown from a kite--some neat stuff, actually.

4. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but it was the owner of that gallery who, at the AIPAD show, told me that he would be offering digital prints for sale whenever there was enough interest. I couldn't help but to see his point from the perspective of a commercial gallery trying to stay in business, but it was just a bit dismaying nonetheless.

5. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I have always concidered digital prints to be in a different catagory from darkroom made prints. Sounds like something I might say! hahaha!

6. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Small commentary on the artist's work: you'll really have to hold my hand and tell me that these are not pictures of a miniature. It's eerie how he managed to get that effect with a flying kite; it's brilliant!

7. mark

mark Member

Cool kite Idea.

8. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ring! Ring! Ring!

"Good afternoon! You've called Robb, Steele & Burns Insurance Agents...how may I help you?"

"Well...ummm...like, I had my Pentax 6x7 strapped to this kite you see...and...

Murray