Photography stores in... BELIZE ???

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bgaspard, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bgaspard

bgaspard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know its a long shot, but does anyone have any info on purchasing new or used equipment in Belize City? I will be visiting later this month, and was wondering if I might be able to get nice prices compared to US prices.

Any store names and addresses with info would help, thanks.

2. glennfromwy

glennfromwy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try http://www.acecam.com for listings all over the place. 36 countries, I believe. A good resource.

3. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Belize City is a dump - or at least it was since I last visited. Look out for the open air sewers. I would not buy photography equipment there. Also, I slept with a stocking cap over my ears because a roach crawled into my ear and got stuck there. Not an experience that I recommend.

4. bgaspard

bgaspard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, that sucks. I recieved a free cruise from the inlaws, and I was hoping one of the ports would have some decent camera shops. I guess Belize City will not be the one. I'll probably end up taking one of those outrageously overpriced cruise excursions.

God, I really do not like the idea of a cruise, especially since I have been backpacking for the past 10 years.

5. bgaspard

bgaspard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If Belize City is out of the question, what about Cozumel Mexico, Santo Tomas De Castilla (or Livingstion and Puerto Barillos) Guatemala?

6. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ebay!

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your best bet will be Cozumel, for having ANYTHING. But if I were you, I'd save your camera buying for someplace more first world, or even second world. Belize is barely third world, especially Belize City. If you were out on the Cayes (Ambergris Caye being the most developed of the lot), you could find some camera gear, almost exclusively related to dive photography. And it would most likely come at a significant premium.

8. Peter Rockstroh

Peter Rockstroh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Belize is a great place ... but not to shop for photo equipment. Cozumel is a tourist trap and Santo Tomás, Livingston and Puerto Barrios are typical small, laid-back third-world towns where you can get beer, laid and weed. If you find photo gear, it is probably stolen ...

Peace,
    Peter

9. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think that US prices for used photo gear are about as low you're going to find anywhere in the world. North America is relatively affluent compared to much of Central and South America. South of the US of A, camera gear of almost any kind is mostly, only for the very rich and thus, in relatively short supply.

10. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Humidity has already destroyed the 8 cameras in Belize.

11. bgaspard

bgaspard Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Thats funny. The humidity in south Louisiana has already ruined one of my lenses, twice.