Photokina 2012: Fuji Neopan 400 is back

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Henning Serger, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I've visited this years Photokina and besides their new Instax camera and two new silver halide colour photo papers (for the increasing market of photobooks) Fujifilm presented the re-introduced Neopan 400 (135). Visible both in the showcase and the brochures at their booth.
    I talked about Neopan 400 with the responsible Fujifilm manager, and he told me the reasons for the Neopan 400 comeback are

- Fujifilm has successfully solved the problems with one raw material, which caused the former production stop
    - they see increasing demand in this film segment
    - in Germany the Fujifilm BW film sales of the last three years have been the highest they ever had (new sales record)
    - there is an increasing interest in film from younger photographers.

He said that if there is new interest and sufficient / increasing demand than Fujifilm is in principle willing to re-introduce films. At least there is no "if the production has stopped, the product will never, ever come back" policy at Fujifilm.
    It's all about demand.

Best regards,
    Henning

2. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You mean it was discontinued? When?

3. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favourite film is coming back!
    Is this too good to be true or is it really happening?

4. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is very good news indeed.

Before I started with APUG I was thinking just how long are things going to continue at this level. I didn't think silver based photography would founder and disappear completely, but I could see the differing quantity and types of materials getting less and less. Now it seems there is at least a slight resurgence of the things we need to continue - and long may it do so. I bit of a choice in E6 reversal films would be very welcome.

5. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this true? My favourite 35mm film. That would be fabulous.

6. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    120? Did he say anything about 120??

7. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I believe the 35mm was never discontinued...I wish people would get it straight when they launch this info on the public....it's the 120 we want...a duh!! well discussed here etc.....
    Best, Peter

8. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Due the responsible Fujifilm Manager I've talked to at Photokina yes, it was discontinued.
    And some time ago (about one year ago if I remember right) a friend of mine, who can speak Japanese, told me that there has been an official statement on the Japanese Fujifilm website.
    I remember quite well the rush on this film in Germany when it was here officially discontinued.
    And I know that Neopan 400 135 has indeed been available in the UK and Japan without interruption.
    My guess: Either the last batches of the last production has been sold there, or maybe the first batches of the new production has been shipped to these markets, leading to a supply without interruption. But honestly, it is a guess, I don't know for sure.

Well, the official statement of Fujifilm at Photokina was, that the film is in production again.

First shipments in Germany are expected at the end of October, beginning November.
    At the Maco Photo booth (Maco/Rollei-Film, macodirect.de) they told me that they have already got a notice from Fujifilm that Neopan 400 is available again, and at the above mentioned date.

Best regards,
    Henning

9. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well here in Germany as far as I know the information was that it was gone for good. I would love to have it as sheet film.

10. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AFAIK currently only 135.
    Probably Fujifilm is just a bit cautious. Looking how well the 135 is accepted. The responsible manager told me that they of course don't know really how much customers have already switched to other films and will stay there.
    How big is the loyalty to the film. They have to wait and see. If the re-introduction is successful, maybe then 120 will follow.

If you want Neopan 120, then the best is shoot much of it in 135 to show there is demand, and simultaneously tell both your distributor and Fujifilm that you want this film also in 120 format.

Best regards,
    Henning

11. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My initial reaction is that this is great. I'm glad to see Fuji taking notice that sales of film products can still be a profit maker. My second thought is what about 120?? That was the format where Fuji Neopan 400 really shines and for years it was my staple film stock.

However, overall this is why I am no longer shooting with Fuji products. When rumours began circulating that Fuji Neopan 400 in 35mm was discontinued I wrote to Fuji directly. The response I received was that Neopan 400 in 35mm was NOT discontinued and Fuji had no intention of dropping it. Evidently other Fuji employees disagree. I am so tired of the mixed messages.

12. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes there is never any clear cut information from Fuji which has always been a pain.

13. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would kill to have 120 Neopan 400 again. That was, and is, the only film that I ever truly mastered and loved... :sad:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    From the information I gained reading the original post, the Fuji rep has to be talking about 120. 35mm Neopan 400 was never discontinued. And the mentioning of the raw material problem links it to the 120 version also. That was the reason 120 was discontinued! If 120 neopan 400 gets re-introduced that would be amazing. I believe there's some confusion between rep and the original poster.

16. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1.
    Their worldwide communication policy is often quite chaotic. A global player should do much better.

Best regards,
    Henning

17. brian steinberger

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yea because there was not much information regarding the discontinuation of 120 Neopan 400 I held hope that it would be re-introduced in the future, much like Velvia 50 was.

18. brian steinberger

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  19. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If this is 120 they meant (I too do not recall 35mm being discontinued) maybe I should sell my 120 Neopan 400 stash at big money before this news gets out! ;-)

Then again maybe I should wait. I remember Grandma's famous cake recipe never tasted quite as good when she replaced the sugar with Splenda....

I'd like to thank all here for spelling Fuji correctly and not calling it Fugi. Now if we can work on all those "Across" people....

20. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember the end of freestyle carrying their rebranded arista version of neopan 400 in 135. That was last year. I thought that was tied into all of this as well.

21. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We could call it Fudgi, haha

22. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, that was because students were complaining it was too good for such a cheap film. ;-)

23. newtorf

newtorf Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    LOL. Seriously, I would buy an extra freezer to stock up those ridiculously cheap legacy pro films. But I missed the deal last year and guess it's gone forever.

24. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  25. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good news! Now if they start to make it in 120, that would be really great.

Jeff

26. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like others I am confused. My understanding was that the problem with one raw material only affected the 120 film which was discontinued because of this and not due to lack of demand and that no such problem existed with the 135 film which would explain why it is still available in the U.K. Of course it may be the case that the problem with 120 meant that curing the problem was not economically viable at the then current demand but Fuji changed its mind or found a solution that wasn't as expensive as it originally thought it would be in relation to the demand but either way this would lead to Fuji announcing a restart of the 120 which is not what was said to you by the Fuji representative.

If the raw material problem has been solved and it is good news if it has then I would have thought that the Fuji announcement would be that production of the 120 film will be re-started.

pentaxuser