Phototherm Sidekick film processor

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Andy Durazo, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Andy Durazo

Andy Durazo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anybody have any experience with these? Pros/cons? Our Wing Lynch processor is pretty much dead and we (East Los Angeles College Photo Department) need to replace it.

2. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got one. Superb machine, fantastic support. No complaints from me. PM me if you have specific questions.

3. BainDarret

BainDarret Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the older version of the SK8 and it was pretty much bullet proof. Very consistent temperature and agitation control. I dealt with the manufacturer in New Jersey a couple of times and found them very helpful. I developed E6, C41 and Tmax films with it. I sold mine a few years ago but if I ever see one going cheap I'll buy it!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
  4. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good machine. Good company. Relatively easy to use.

Has some degree of user-programability... mostly to vary the processing time. The extent of programability depends on the model. It can do most processes, but not Kodachrome, as if that mattered any more. If you want a custom program you can have the company burn a new controller chip for you for a small fee.

You can't vary the temperature unless you burn a new chip. You can't run the processing temperature at below room temperature.

5. Andy Durazo

Andy Durazo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanx for the replies! I'll pass this on to my boss and see if he wants to replace our old and dying Wing Lynch with one of these. If anybody else has one please let me know what you think and if you're in the L.A. area; would it be possible to see one in action.

6. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd bet that if you contacted Phototherm, they'd be glad to refer a prospective customer to someone local in LA area.