PHSNE

Discussion in 'New England' started by Whiteymorange, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Show and sale coming up. October 28/29 at the Armenian Cultural Center in Watertown. Lots of dealers with lots of great deals. One dealer I know said that he's afraid his stock is worth less and less each day - time to sell off. With that attitude around, it's a great day for those of us who are buying and using rather than buying to resell.

Picked up some great glass and a couple of really fun cameras for close to nothing last year.

For directions to the Center

For the PHSNE website, which has on it one of the most annoying graphics I have ever seen

2. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    speaking of old cameras...this is listed in another thread:

From the results of a recent poll (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32517), November is Medium Format Folding Camera Month.
    To participate, all you have to do is shoot some film in a vintage medium format folder, between the dates of November 1 and November 30, then post your best shot in the APUG Gallery. Only one photo per participant please.
    Any vintage medium format folding camera is allowed. We are including the Baby Graphics (2-1/2x3-1/4) and the vintage Plaubel Makinas.

Why have a MF Folding Camera Month? The idea is to showcase what can be done with a vintage camera. The MF folders were the most popular family-type snapshooter of the 1940s and 1950s, until 35mm became the rage. There is a wide variety of them. Exposure and focusing is all done manually, often "guessing" on the focusing distance with uncoupled rangefinders. But they can still produce quite good results. I noted that one of the Ilford Postcard winners was shot with an Agfa Isollette.

So, if you have one, please join in. Remember, take your best shot during November and let’s see what happens.

why don't I load some film in the folding camera Whitey gave me, take a photo, and pass it on to you all in NE. We can then get it processed, and enter each of our images!? drew

3. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping to be there on the 28th. If I buy some older camera, will someone show me how to load it and such? I wouldn't mind anything that takes 120. If there's a sweet 4x5, I might be pursuaded. See you there!

4. sionnac

sionnac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hoping to be there too - see you!

5. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Heh heh....I know someone who just obtained an Agfa Isolette last month and is using it like crazy....

-Bill

6. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Winger! Find me at the show. My friend has a pile of boxes (that's right, a big pile of big boxes) of folders, many of which are absolutely wonderful cameras. I believe I have convinced him to bring some of them to the show and sell them cheap... Or maybe Drew will find you to get that 6x9 I gave him. He's trying to pass it on to another willing user. I'll be happy to get you going with it.

Bill :smile:

7. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will be going Saturday. Hope to see you all there!

8. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hope to make it Sunday with a friend....

9. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whitey, I'll find you!

10. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a bump to remind folks... The best buys are Saturday morning for the expensive stuff but I have a soft spot in my head (heart) for the last hour of any show. That's when the unsold goods start looking very heavy to repack and bring home. Almost any bid starts looking reasonable then...

Photographica, ACEC, 47 Nichols Ave, Watertown MA, Dealer inquiries to John Dockery, 781-592-2553.

Admission $5, students/seniors $4. Hours: 9-5 Sat, 10-4 Sunday. At least 100 tables have been sold to dealers of cameras & images. One of just a few 2-day shows in USA. Lots of large-format cameras and film for sale! Also, 35mm, antique cameras, accessories, digital, etc.

Directions to ACEC: From Mass Pike I90, take Newton/Watertown exit north to Watertown Sq, get in 3rd lane from left, go straight onto Mt Auburn St, Rt 16, go 1.61 miles to flashing yellow light Nichols Ave (between post office and bakery), go right 2 blocks to end.. The building at 47 Nichols Ave.is marked "Armenian Cultural and Educational Center".

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2006
  11. Jon King

Jon King Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I plan to be there Saturday. I'll try to find you and introduce myself, Whitey.

12. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I'm here on the shop floor of the event. Decided to go today0 instead since yesterday was a downpour. Lots of tables - about 50 or so. There are lots of tintypes and ambrotypes for sale. I never knew how expensive those things are!Lots of old gear, IMNSHO, most junk, but most likely in working condition. I saw some very nice 4x5's - a couple horseman for sale at $400 and $700, the latter comes with a slew of accessories, an extended rail and a case.Seems like the used camera circuit is stressful to some. A gentleman next to me was for the price of a decent Metz flash unit sitting on the table, not knowing it belonged to the guy next to him on the other side. That guy said it was his, how much does he want for it? Well did the guy who owned the table go ballistic! "Get you're own table!" Drama....Anyway that was the most exciting thing at this event. Going to haed to the Brush Gallery now to drop my prints.Thanks Whitey for posting this event. An interesting event but not for everyone.Regards, Art (These Blacberries are neat little devices - if only it had a camera)

13. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! Sory I missed you, Art. i was there all Saturday but came in late today to get some other stuff done. Tough when you give up both days of the weekend to get those necessary chores finished!

This was an unusual show, I think. The crowd on Saturday, at least for a few hours in the middle of the day, was amazing, considering the weather. Hunts camera (local "big" dealer) was having their own show this weekend. They usually come to this with vast amounts of cheap film and gear. No show this time. I think someone said that there were 450 paying customers there on Saturday, however. The crowd today had to put up with diminished stock and tables that had been abandoned by dealers going home early. I know I didn't spend a lot of money... lusted after a 100 mm ektar wide angle, but didn't pull the trigger on it.

One heartening thing noticed by a few of the dealers: there seemed to be a number of very young buyers, people who said that they had started with digital and now knew that they wanted to go to film.

14. OlProfBear

OlProfBear Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Was there Saturday, made a couple of decent finds.

I think the relatively smaller crowd made it easier for buyers to move around the hall and get close to the tables, which might have encouraged a bit more buying. I overheard several dealers opining that they hadn't done badly, considering ...

P.S. You resemble your avatar very closely. Oddly enough, I resemble your avatar (only slightly) too.:wink:

15. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wish you'd had a chance to say Hi. Always like to meet APUGers. And anyone who resembles my avatar, even slightly deserves all the friends he can get.

16. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And this is the new and improved avatar. You should have seen the old one- the love child of Satan and St. Nick- I still have nightmares.

17. OlProfBear

OlProfBear Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    <G>

Next time I will.