Physics math...

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by monkeykoder, Oct 18, 2008.

1. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm going to be selling my old book for a class entitled "Advanced Mathematics for Physicists and Engineers" I'm hoping to get about $90 for it. I plan on spending $40 of that on film (at least). Any suggestions on a fixed lens rangefinder I could get for the remaining $50 (assuming it sells of course). I'm just looking for a walking around camera that has a good amount of control without prompting questions like "Are you a professional?" or "Wow how many mega pixels is that?" basically something that people won't notice when I really don't want to be noticed with my camera. (I wouldn't mind questions like "How old is that?" or perhaps "WTF??? You're still using film!!!!" so much).

2. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any of the Canonet series might work for you. They made RF's in various aperatures, with various metering.

A Yashica Electro might work. Semi-auto aperature priority

An Olympus XA would be stealthy enough, too....probably my best suggestion with the guidelines that you've noted.

Jo

3. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From APUG recommendations, affordability and availability, I just bought a Canon GIII QL17. I shot/developed 2 rolls of Neopan 400 and I am impressed. I'll probably post the shots on arigram's bicycle thread, since they were taken while riding, sample below.

Apologies for the dust, this was a quick scan.
    Neopan 400; 1/500; f16 (or thereabouts)

Terry

Attached Files:

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pretty damn good I'd say while riding. I am sure you were paying attention to the road but as long as you can avoid that maniac in the car on the wrong side of the road, I'd switch to the left where it's safer.:D

All the sensible Aussies and Kiwis will tell you the same thing - just you watch.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

5. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are there any other types of rangefinder I should be looking at?

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Canon QL17 or Yashica Electro 35 would be a good option. I believe the Canon has better manual overrides available to the user, although I am more than happy with my Yashica that I got for $5. There is a Canon for sale in the APUG classifieds right now. It needs light seals and is WAY overpriced, but if the seller is aware of the current market, he or she should come down quite a bit (about 75% or more due to the repairs needed). It's worth a shot. If not, then EBay or local thrift shops.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
  7. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

PU,
    How about I just flip the negative? :wink:

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Duh...How could I totally neglect to mention a Kodak Retina II or IIa? They are total sleepers, and cheap as dirt. I have two that I got for free, and now I don't even mind that my Leica IIIc is busted. They are not as purdy or slick as the IIIc, but for all intents and purposes are comparable, and about 1/10 the price.

9. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any particular reason (other than the weird rangefinder that the Agfa Karat 36 would be a bad choice? I ask because there is one on the local craigslist.

10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Retina IIa rarely sells for less than $50, especially if it's been overhauled.

In the $50 price range:

-- The Olympus 35 RC is a nice little camera that has autoexposure, as well as manual exposure.

-- A couple of goofy little cameras are the Super Baldina and the Super Baldamatic.

-- Agfa has the Super Solinette.

-- Konica has the Konica C35, a rangefinder with program-type autoexposure but no manual exposure controls. The Konica S and S2 get rave reviews from those who own them. And before that, there is the Konica I and Konica II, which should be in your price range. The Konica III sells for significantly more.

-- The Voigtlander CLR and Vitomatic IIb can be found for about $50.

This is really the tip of the iceberg. There are probably hundreds of cameras that might fit your budget.

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I disagree with this. I still think the Retina IIa applies as a suggestion in this case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KODAK-RETINA-II...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/kodak-retina-II...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Kodak-R...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Retina-II...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Retina-II...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KODAK-R...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEAR-MINT-KODAK...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ("near mint" with case for $56)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FOLDING-KODAK-R...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-KODAK-R...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ("with Extras" for $51)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-RETINA-II...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-KODAK-RETI...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Kodak-R...39:1|66:2|65:13|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

These were all in the $50 area, or less in a few cases. This only includes sales in the past amount of time that EBay will let you search. (I don't know how far back they look.) In the same time period, five Retina IIas went for over $50 (one of which was a Rodenstock glass model that went for beaucoup bux).

I also listed two more above that went for over $50, as they are close enough to $50 to warrant listing, IMO, given the "near mint" claim and the "Extras".

This search of completed EBay auctions does not include the models of Retina other than the IIa, of which there are several. Additionally, they are very common (I should change that to often very common, as there is always someone trying to sell tin as gold) and very cheap at estate sales, swap meets, camera shows, etc. in the $5 to $25 range. I don't think a very high premium would be paid for overhauled models of most cameras, let alone relatively cheap cameras. I certainly would not pay more for a camera that had "just been serviced". I do not agree that the cameras rarely sell for under $50. In fact, evidence would support that they sell for under $50 more often than they sell for over $50.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2F/2F:

I'm looking for a Retina IIa.

You are in charge :smile:.

Matt

13. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It takes quite a bit more in research than that before I go out and buy a camera nowadays (I made the wrong choice a while ago and got a camera that should not be talked about on this forum and now I regret it). Now I try to research as well as possible before I buy.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I am not trying to say that what I posted is in-depth research, but simply a glimpse of pricing that qualifies these cameras for consideration as an option, along with many other fine cameras.

Like with anything, patience pays off, and you will score better by waiting for a good opportunity. It is just like life for something to turn up at a yard sale for $5 the week after you buy one on EBay for $50...

I work as the photographer (and often a laborer) for an estate sales company, and am always keeping my eyes open, Matt. Next time I find one for cheap or free, you can have it. I don't need three or even two! Estate sales in nice neighborhoods where it is the estate of someone who lived in the '40s through the '60s are always good bets. (Remember that these were not cheap cameras in their day.) That is where I got my two free ones (and an Argus C3 with box and flash), my Sekonic meter, my Spotmatic and four sweet lenses, a Rolleicord, etc. Some were free, as they were not liquidated at the sales and were going to be donated, but most of the time I just get a nice employee discount.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  16. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    *****Good Canonet's are getting harder to find. Not nearly as compact, but also with a zinger of a sharp lens is the Konica Auto S-2. Bright, parallax correcting RF; auto exposure control with complete manual override.

17. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My post was more of a reply to Matt's post than yours. Some of these cameras are much harder to research as they don't come available all that often so when you see them it is much harder to come up with a reasonable price.

18. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Geez, I wanna know the title of the book...

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2F/2F:

Thanks for thinking of me :smile:.

Matt

20. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought my Canonet after I did the research and ebay/KEH price check. I went into a little camera repair shop (icamera) around the corner from where I work in Downtown Oakland, asked if he had a Canon GIII. He had five, he showed me his best two. The camera I bought was EX++, with the seals re-done (in-house), a working battery, case/strap, and a 100-day warranty. I did not pay low-ball ebay or hi-ball KEH, but something quite reasonable, with no S/H, buyer/seller hassles.

icamera also had a few Retinas but I didn't want to mess with the lens cover apparatus while negotiating a bicycle.

Anyway YMMV, happy GAS!

Terry

21. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Retina IIa can be a little finicky at age 50. All three of mine are awaiting repair. I would go with one of the Japanes RFs or maybe something Soviet. The Kiev 4a can be very good if your hands are big enough to handle the "Contax grip". Also worth looking at are the Fed 2,3, and 4 and the Zorki 4 and 6. One of the lesser known Japanese models that usually goes for a song is the Petri 1.9. The lens is decent and the rangefinder, viewfinder, and overall ergonomics are superb.

22. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a retired microwave engineer I would be interested in the book. Why are you selling it ?
    $90.00 should be easier raised by selling something else. Just love old books and cameras.
    Too bad I am way up in Canada and can't buy it from you.

/Clay

23. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an old edition of the book which makes the current edition expendable and it still fetches a fair price because it is still used in the classroom. The only other math/physics book I sold was my calculus book which I kinda regret but then again I have 2 other books on calculus (albeit at a much higher level). It isn't all that advanced of a book title is "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" it starts off covering ODEs covers some linear algebra and vector calculus (none of which someone taking the class hasn't seen before) then it goes on to PDEs and Fourier analysis some complex analysis and on from there. It would be this book here http://www.bkstr.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CourseMaterialsResultsView?catalogId=10001&categoryId=9604&storeId=13528&langId=-1&programId=1346&termId=100008816&courseId_1=16845387&divisionDisplayName=%20&departmentDisplayName=MATH&courseDisplayName=105A&sectionDisplayName=01&demoKey=d&purpose=browse

24. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm, Kreyszig's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" has been around for a long, long time it seems. Lots and lots of used copies out there.

25. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is true 9 editions so far. Not too many of the 9th edition though.

26. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dang, even I have a copy of 'Advanced Engineering Mathematics ' ! I was a
    young engineering student in 1961 when I bought it. Time flies when you
    are having fun. Thanks for the memories !
    /Clay