Pick a Camera seniorio

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, May 14, 2013.

1. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK guys,

If you were to go on a trip to Europe for two week or any other cool place. And was given a choice on what camera to use. A 35mm, meduim format or a rangefinder. which would it be and why?

ToddB

2. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A Mamiya 7 with 3 lenses.

It's lightweight, portable and has extremely sharp lenses.

3. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have limited experience with this sort of thing but here is my 2 cents:

I went to Cuba last year with Leica rangefinders. Once I was there and seeing the interesting features of the place, the architecture from the 1800s, the
    curious little towns, Havana all that.......I realized two things:

I would have preferred to lug a larger format along and have stayed longer than one week.

4. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although not a huge fan of zooms (yet I own three...go figure), I would grab my F6 with the 17-35mm ED, 50mm 1.2 and the 80-200mm ED. And, in the interest of peace of mind, I would stash a motor-less F2 in the bag. My choices? The wide and telephoto zooms cover an extensive range on both ends; the 50mm prime for the low light situations that are bound to occur. Combined, the above should cover prtty much anything you would wish to shoot. All the above should fit in a camera bag small enough not to be a bother. Oh, and a good supply of E100G/Provia and HP5/Tri-x...

5. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Medium format, 50mm FLE, 150mm, 2x extender, cable release, carbon fiber tripod with ball head, my trusty spot meter, 18% gray card, yellow, light orange & light green filters, enough Delta 400 film and my camera backpack. Also a Gortex shell and comfortable shoes. That covers most of my photographic situations and although heavy is still manageable for me. I carry a smaller empty daypack in my luggage for occasions that the larger backpack would be in the way.

For great companionship - my wife (who speaks four languages).

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

6. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Something small and light with a wide angle, I wouldn't bother with spare lenses or bodies.

7. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last time, it was for a month. I brought: Nikon F, 35/2, 50/2, 105/2.5, Gossen LunaSix meter. Also, a Nagaoka 4x5 with a 6" Goerz Dagor and a Tiltall tripod.
    The Nikon because I wanted an utterly reliable 35mm outfit, the Nagaoka for some special scenic and architectural pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  8. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll chime in.. Rollei 3.5f and T model, Sekonic 308 light meter and 10 rolls of Provia 400 color and 15 rolls of Delta 100 120 BW. This would go in the backpack camera bag.

Todd

9. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mine is no bigger than a a regular sized school BP. It's Neo Geo pack. but good point.

Todd

10. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Let's see, I am leaving on the 24th to go to Iceland for three days and then on to Paris for two weeks. I am taking a Mamiya 7II with 43, 80 and 150 lenses.

11. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cool.. Sounds like wonderful time.

ToddB

12. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mostly in Europe I use my Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515 and Voigtlander Vitomatic II.

13. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Depends on the nature of the trip. If photography isn't the primary mission, then I'll take either my Rolleiflex or more often, my Fuji GA645Zi and a small tripod. If I expected to need to shoot low light hand held, I'd bring a 35mm with a few fast primes. If photography is the primary mission, the full hasselbald kit plus the Fuji as a back up.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2 Canon F1N-AE bodys 17mm f3.5, 50mm f1.4 and 28-85 f4 zoom in a Domke f6 bag

16. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Benjiboy about Canon F-1 but a TLR is also a good choice.

Jeff

17. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would depend on how I am traveling and where I am staying.
    If I plan on renting a car and will in be the country side for landscapes I would travel with my Mamiya Press Universal with a Normal and Wide, and a 35mm with 4 primes, 24mm, 50mm, 105mm and 135 or 150 (Pentax 42mm) and a good quality point and shoot.

If I plan on staying in a city and using public transportation and doing a lot of walking I would just take a 35mm with same primes and a point and shoot.

Other option for light travel is Sigma SA 9 and Sigma SD 14 with 2 zooms 28 to 105, 70 to 210 and a 50mm prime.

18. Ambar

Ambar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unless you're going on a safari.... A Normal and a Wide angle lens will do 99.99999% of shots for me.

I'd go medium format (6x6 or 6x7). Any camera with a 80mm lens and a 50/60mm wide option.
    I currently own a GF670 and that package has covered 90% of shots I take. Would love to have a GF670W to add to my next trip but at current prices I guess that means either the camera or the vacation!

Personally, the less options I have, the better! So I'd say carry as little gear as possible. This isn't a comment on weight concerns but rather of a mind set.
    While travelling, especially to a location I've never been to, I do get visually overwhelmed by the plethora of novel possibilities. Making choices as to what gear to use for which picture became a burden and a source of anxiety that just has no place in a trip.

I'm a firm believer that in any creative process less options is more. I have seen this to be true on more than one occasion and on more than one medium.

19. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always carry 2 bodys when travelling because if one craps out on you the lenses are just so much junk to lug about.

20. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Rolleiflex 2.8E, with a second as a backup. K.I.S.S. As an alternative, my Contax G1 & G2 plus 21, 28,45 and 90 lenses. Not so simple, but it gives me a wide range of focal length options. It all depends on if I've been there before or not. If it's my first time, I'd more likely take the Contax kit. For a re-visit, the Rolleis for sure. If I'm in glutton-for-punishment mode, the Canham 5x7 with the 4 3/8" W.A. Dagor, 240 Heliar, and 12" Commercial Ektar (or maybe the 450mm Nikkor-M).

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i just bring one camera and one lens.
    i am going to france in july, and probably will
    only bring one camera ( 35mm ) and a 50mm lens.

22. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep. Learned my lesson.

That's me on a German vacation in 2004. I still have the backpack, and use it for storage and transport in the car; but it hasn't been on my back since. Each trip after that, I traveled lighter and lighter, camera-wise.

Now, having said that, all honesty compels me to tell you that it is going to Iceland this Fall with Bill Schwab and his tour. So, it will be filled up again. However, this is a special case: we will be on a photo trip, and have transportation. But, if I'm a regular tourist, I'm there to enjoy my vacation and not to take pictures. Something small and light (and probably not mention-able on APUG) is all that is needed for a vacation.

As usual, your mileage may vary. For one thing, it depends on how you shoot normally and what gear you own. With all those variables, it's hard to give a pat answer.

Attached Files:

23. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scenario 1: 2 Minolta X-bodies (1 for color, 1 for B&W) 35mm, 50mm and 200mm prime lenses with a 2x converter (This covers 35, 50, 70, 100, 200 and 400).

Scenario 2: The minimalist solution - Zeiss Ikonta folder with Tmax 400 and an orange filter and my Minolta light meter. Remove the filter for lower light situations.

Scenario 3: Mamiya C33 with 80mm, 135mm and 180mm and Minolta light meter. The body is a beast but the lenses are surprisingly light. You can't beat the image quality.

24. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No question - Leica M2 with 50mm 1.4 Summilux loaded with FP4.

25. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

26. ctsundevil

ctsundevil Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    On my last two European trips, I brought my Mamiya 7, an 80mm lens, a polarizer and a flash. (and a lot of film)
    The best advice is - don't over-pack.