Picture of 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphic *Graflok* Back?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by dpn, Feb 14, 2012.

1. dpn

dpn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I'm having a hard time recognizing which 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphics have Graflok backs. The 4x5 Graflok backs are recognizable due to the two visible metal rails, but none of the eBay samples of 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphics I've seen show the two rails clearly.

I've Googled the issue and searched the archives, but haven't found a clear picture of a Graflok back example in 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. The only examples I've found have shown the rollfilm backs attached, which obscures the rails.

Can anyone please post a picture of the Graflok back on a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphic?

Thanks!

-- Dan

2. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    try this -- if it doesn't have those slides, it is not a graflok back:

http://www.electricedge.com/greymatter/archives/00005814.htm

a graflok back on a 2 1/4 looks the same as on a 4 by 5...just smaller.

it can be confusing because in addition to the spring back, and the graflok, there was an intermediate back that comes out farther, and even has a removable set of viewer shade flaps, but is not a graflok back. My Combat speed graphic (4 by 5) has this -- I can use grafmatic backs in it as well as regular film backs, so unless I wanted to put a roll back on it the graflok isn't needed.

if the camera has a roll film back on it, it almost certainly has a graflok -- some of the later models of 2 1/4 cameras only came with a graflok, such as the Century -- the graflok was molded as part of the body.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  3. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    here's a pic I found on a rival photo page discussing the same issue you are.
    seems that all century graphics have graflok backs

hope that helps

4. dpn

dpn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for confirming that the smaller Graflok backs look the same as the larger ones!

5. dpn

dpn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks again for the help, and the suggestion to look for a Century Graphic instead!

6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    century graphic is guaranteed to have a graflok back, but it was also the cheaper version made out of some composite stuff, sort of plastic, not wood like the higher end ones...I found a nice Crown 2 1/4 on ebay a coupla years ago at a good price, has the graflok and a good lens/shutter and a body release.

But I'm a snob. For picture taking, a Century is an excellent camera.

KEH has a 2 1/4 Crown right now for $189 http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-La...-Cameras?s=1&bcode=LF&ccode=3&cc=80197&r=WG&f

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the Century Graphic is a little bit lighter although the leather covered wood is probably more rugged. Both nice cameras. The Crown or Speed would of been more expensive when new. Used, doubt if it make any difference. Have fun.

8. cfclark

cfclark Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That pic looks like mine. I'm currently looking for another "23" rollfilm back to supplement the one I have.

9. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    like your pic, or your cam?
    sorry if it's your pic, I found it in google images

10. cfclark

cfclark Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not my personal camera--just resembles mine. Sorry for the confusion! :smile:

11. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D no problem