Pin Hole Literature?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Ouch My Eye, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Ouch My Eye

Ouch My Eye Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am looking for some literature...with a little more indepth info on the wonder world of pinhole.
    I have read all the little bits that come with standard photo class type books.
    Looking for more specifics...Any great book/bible that I should start with?
    Thanks.
    mike

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adding to John N's excellent advice, you might ask Eric Renner if he has back issues of the Pinhole Journal to sell you - great stuff.

4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the Renner book on pinhole photography, available from the pinhole resource, which also includes photography with slits, multiple slits, zone plates, and I believe the new edition also covers sieves. Sieves and zone plates are a series of alternating clear/opaque concentric rings (or holes with the same concentric arrangement) that use the phase of the light wave to produce a focused lens effect. A very fine and complete book.

Lee

6. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
  7. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    f295.com

an entire site/forum for pinhole - friendly bunch of eccentrics - except me of course - 100% normal, until I get that dam pinhole in my hand and then..... :smile:

8. jsharjean

jsharjean Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good Literature.

A very well done book on pinhole photography with a humorous learning curve for helping understand and remember is called ' The Hole Thing' A manual of pinhole fotografy by Jim Shull. It can be found sometimes on ebay, not in print. Email me jphotojones@buckeye-express.com if you can not find it I would consider a loan.

9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim Shull's book (either the 1st or the expanded 2nd editions) is a cute little book that should be great for teaching pinhole photography to young students.

It's been a while since I've browsed Diane Dobson-Barton's site, Barton Studio, but she has published basic pinhole instructions.

For a deeper understanding of the physics behind pinhole photography, I endorse Matt Young's several articles on the subject.

10. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try:
    Adventures With Pinhole and Home-Made Cameras: From Tin Cans to Precision Engineering (Paperback)
    by John Evans
    I wrote a review about it at amazon.com. It's not only about pinholes, but deals extensively - though not exhaustive - with them. I found the book inspiring.