Pin holes! Damn.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, May 31, 2014.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

remember a while back I was complaining about my omega view having issues with contrast? Well I put in a flash light in the bellows, and I few pin holes were found on the four corners. That would cause the contrast issue? It was fogging my film. What I'm doing is using gaffers tape and taping the little corners to seal them up. Think will work?

todd

2. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Some people tape the corners and some use liquid electrical tape on the pin holes. If you are getting pin holes in the bellows it means the bellows are wearing out and more will probably pop up later so you may think about investing in a new bellows if you don't want to chase pin holes.

If you are not doing so all ready, throw your dark cloth over your bellows before you release the shutter so even if you have pin holes hopefully you won't get fogging. I was told to get in the habit of doing this even if using a new bellows.

3. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    gaffers tape is too stiff. I use matte black fabric paint (Tulip brand from Michaels or Joanne's). Paint it on wi a little brush (20 for a dollar or two at harbor freight). Might need two or three coats, but even that doesn't impact folding them up.

Dan

4. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if you have a dead changing bag, or maybe just some really tight weave black cloth, glue that over the pinholes on the inside of the bellows -- if the material is thin enough it will follow the folds and seal up the pinholes.

5. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    pp

A dash of Positive Paranoia goes a long way in this biz.

6. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have used the Tulip washable fabric paint with good results but Golden Heavy Body Artist paint works better. Use carbon black http://www.goldenpaints.com//products/color/infopg.php?K=0001040 . It can be diluted with water up to 50% and is very durable. I use it to coat the shutter curtain in Large Format SLR's. Paint the inside of the bellows with them fully extended.
    The gaffers tape will dry out after a few months and leave a residue behind.

7. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yea the fabric paint is useful for bellows and shutter curtains even metal ones.

Apply both sides to holes leave for 24 hours before any flex or movement.

Save some for rude things on cotton top like 'DSLRs stink'

8. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the bellows is fabric lined, I'd use liquid black artist's acrylic paint, well scrubbed into the fabric with an old soft toothbrush. Leave the bellows extended until the paint is thoroughly dry.

10. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys, off to Joann's to get fabric paint. I like that better than gaffers tape. I just need to work for two weeks. Plan on getting bellows replaced this summer.

11. JW PHOTO

JW PHOTO Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do this 100% of the time and it started after reading about a problem with Fred Picker's first run of Zone VI field cameras, Seems they had nice new fancy bellows, but folks were complaining that they thought the cameras had a light leak somewhere since there was a fogging/low contrast problem. This wouldn't happen all the time, but in really bright conditions it did. Come to find out the material the bellows was made out of was not 100% light proof. Some folks complained and others called them nuts. Come to find out those calling them nuts were the ones flipping their dark clothes over their cameras before yanking the dark slide. Just a good habit to get into and you got to put the darn thing someplace anyway. JW

12. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Black silicone sealant works too.. book binding tape, clear silicone sealant with powdered carbon mixed in (works great for pinholes in cloth shutters if you put it on thin enough too)

Sent from my SGH-S730G using Tapatalk