Pinhole Holga 35mm

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by pinhole_dreamer, Oct 29, 2011.

1. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6291896033_f9c485abe4.jpg

I came into a windfall, literally, of photo equipment. A friend of mine sent me her pinhole Holga, her 120 Holga and a couple of other plastic cameras with three rolls of Lomography redtone film. THEN, I'm at a camera shop getting a lens fixed. Another fellow in there heard the owner and I talking about shoe box pinhole cameras, my old vintage cameras, my 35mm Pentax (which was getting the 70-200mm lens fixed), and the slew of cheapie plastic cameras I pick up at 2nd hand shops. The gentleman who was listening to us talk about cameras happens to be moving. He brought in a couple of boxes of chemicals (of which I'm not sure if I should attempt to use them or not), trays, paper, tons, measuring cups, ect...AND a medium format Besseler enlarger! So not only do I have a friend of mine sending me some plastic cameras (I think they're cool in a very lo-fi sort of way - a bit like listening to vinyl records with the Rice Crispies soundtrack), I have a whole SLEW of totally awesome things for my storage room/darkroom. *giggles* It feels like Christmas! BTW, I did make the gentleman from the shop a couple of prints and I have a letter typed up for him (cold weather and pens and I do NOT get along). I also have a print made for the shop owner...and then I bought a 28-85mm Sears lens from him for $20.

NOW, to get to the photograph. (I just had to add a back story to it.)

Pinhole photos and the park. Same park as my first Coca Cola tin pinhole/paper photo that ended up with an 'angel' in the middle of the lagoon. Now I have a spirit watching the ducks? I think I may just have to go to my favorite cemetery in town to see what happens. Why not? Monday IS Halloween.

2. ced

ced Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Susan nice photo and reminds one of a lazy summer's afternoon down at the river.
    What in your opinion caused the black patch on the left side?

3. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That "rice crispy pop" is a bad needle. Vinyl is "anologue" just as silver halide and it is the only way to listen to good music especially on a quality turn table. So Holga would be analgous to a toy plastic record player that plays pop-goes-the-weasel on those thick colored child prof discs. Not that I don't like plastic cameras, if they perpetuate film great. I still need to play with one.

It sounds like you had a good day of it.

4. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That black patch is probably an issue with lighting outside. Shadows are too heavy, therefore, a bit of dodging that area would be needed for a better print.

5. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I still have my little plastic record player, only the colored discs are old 1920s songs. It's more of a music box, than anything. I like plastic cameras from time to time, just because of the different perspective and how those plastic lenses interpret the light to record an image on film. I've had a lot of fun with the Holga 120 the same friend gave me. I was shocked at how nice some of the photos have turned out.

6. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will admit that they can be a lot of fun even unpredictable, the same reasons I develope in coffee and even cross process films. But I have never understood why anyone would pay $100 or more for one when a good camera could be had for that or you could just make one from scrap.

7. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got mine for free...well, the cost of one b/w print and an upcycled picture frame, plus shipping. (It was a brass frame, cost me .25 at a yard sale.) I threw in some spare 35mm reels and one 120 reel that I'm not using because I know she wants to start developing her own b/w film. I don't have any spare tanks, though...otherwise I would have put one of those in her box, too. *shrugs* I'm having fun with the little Holga pinhole. I put a roll of Lomo Redtone film in it yesterday. I'm not really looking for 'quality', ie: the PERFECT photograph, but fun and kicky. I could easily achieve that with my Pentax but I'm fond of plastic cameras.