Pinholes in my fortepan 400..?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Jersey Vic, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    lots of them. I'm using Rodinal 1:25, a water stop bath and TF-4 non hardening fixer. What gives ?

Thanks

Victor

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Could you post a sample image? I've had some occasionally, but haven't had too many using PMK, ABC, Acufine, or the sheets I've tested recently in FX6a (monobath).

3. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I'll scan a negative a little later. I've also had this problem in the past with the arista.edu variety and diafine. They're pinhole images and may even add to the effect I'm after but it's disconcerting to not be able to control them.
    All of my Fortepan 400 is 120 btw.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  4. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I got a bunch of arista edu(200 I think) and it was full of pin holes as well. Unusable. I wish I knew exactly what is the cause. The other day i came up with one roll of Acros that had pin holes. Never had that happen before!!?

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I used it only in sheet sizes except for a couple of rolls of 120 I got to test when they upgraded the emulsion a few years ago.

6. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have experienced this over the past year. Numerous times, several makes of film. It's either missing emulsion (pin holes) or miscellaneous foreign matter (black specks) in the emulsion. I figured the cause is the price threshold. For example, if I buy film that costs less than $3.00 a roll (35mm or 120), I get more crap in the emulsion. As soon as I started paying more for quality film, those problems have become less frequent. There's an expression that covers this . . . :wink:

7. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pinholes

Try NOT using stop bath and substitute plain water on the next roll. If the stop bath is too strong it will cause bubbles to form in the emulsion.

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But he is using a water stop bath.

Victor, I'm sorry I cannot help you. All I can say is that if it was a late run by Forte you are probably more likely to run into coating defects. I have some Forte Polygrade that has the most beautiful color I've ever seen in lith, but it has coating defects... Late run of production.
    Funny thing is I'm having some pinhole issues with the Foma 400 film I'm using (as Arista.EDU 400) too. Consistent problems over near 40 rolls of the stuff now, and I've used Rodinal, Xtol, Sprint, Pyrocat, Ilfotec DD-X, and 130. Back to Tri-X and Ilford. I'm tossing the Arista rolls if anyone wants them...

- Thomas

9. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DUH!!!

Sorry 'bout that. BTW, IF the the Arista is still available, I could use it.

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Promised to someone else already.

Victor, I am so sorry. I didn't think clearly when I posted on here film for free... Didn't mean to steal any of the thunder.
    But, the film is gone.

- Thomas

11. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I purchased about 35 120 rolls of this from Freestyle in December. Just got around to using some and yes, mine have pinholes too. I've since corresponded with customer service and they will take it back in exchange for a different film. A+ for their customer service, as I was expecting a fight to get them to exchange it.

It's unfortunate, as the price for the film was right. And I kind of like the images, even though the prints are peppered with tiny black specks.

12. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Exactly. Forte's QC went down the tubes when they went in and out of financial re-organization, and ultimately out of business. In the end, they were only using a small fraction of the old big factory, and did not have the capital to keep going.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  13. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Oh but it gets better. I shot like 20 rolls of it in Venice last month with my new Zero Image 6x9:smile:. Great place-awesome camera-SH*t film.

I also shot alot of TriX, Rollei Retro, and Efke too (THANKS SO MUCH Denis P) The few Foma rolls are ALOT better than the Fortepan 120.

What's really weird is that the pinholes are in the shadows and midtones not at all in the densest areas/skies. I know I promised to scan but the curl is so bad I can't! I'll scan a print soon.

Hey Thomas-why are you hijacking my thread with your housecleaning? :smile:?

14. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it something like this?
    I am mot sure if this is dust ore a hole.
    Rollei Retro 400, Pyro HD + waterstop + FX-U

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  15. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    No actually more like alot of much smaller ones. That's terrible!