Pink or purple stains on B&W negatives

Pink or purple stains on B&W negatives

1. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jeff Bannow submitted a new resource:

Pink or purple stains on B&W negatives - Pink or purple stains on B&W negatives

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Petr

Petr Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I found that with Tmax films, a good prewash (prior developing) at 21°C for 5-10min removed most of the film sensitizing dye. Remainder of dye was then easily removed with extended fixing (requirement for Kodak stocks) and final wash.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, a prewash removes part of the anti-halation layer but also a few other things in the emulsion, which are added to aid development. In my opinion, it's better to add some wet time post development. A second fix, a treatment in HCA, and a brief wash in between are particularly useful to remove the dye completely (not that it does any harm).

4. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why does this stain bother anyone anyway?

5. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Magenta changes the contrast of multigrade paper.

If you plan on reusing developer it is the wrong dye perhaps for other films and you wonder if dyed developer should be used again.

I don't presoak black and white film and don't reuse black and white film developer but I do presoak and reuse C41 chems.

6. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That does not matter in a consistent process. The influence is minimal and consistent.

A literature search reveals no known influence of one film's anti-halation dye on another film's development behavior, but it is another reason for one-shot processing. Anyway, a 5-minute presoak does not remove the entire dye. It just makes it easier for the following process steps to remove it. The pre-soak does not free the developer from the dye, nor does the dye hamper the developing process.

The whole concern about the dye is more a cosmetic issue than anything else.

7. tmharter

tmharter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If my fixer is old and I didn't notice the color until the next day, will it keep getting darker?
    Thanks

8. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Refix, HCA and rewash if you don't like the stain though it shouldn't get darker and may even fade on its own when exposed to light.