Pissed off-venting-Fogged 8x10 film in box!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by gbenaim, Oct 25, 2007.

1. gbenaim

gbenaim Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Just venting,

After chasing a light leak on my last batch of developed 8x10 film, I come to discover the f'ing bag it comes in has pinholes along the crease. This is freestyle's arista ultra. Why they'd use cheap plastic that tears is beyond me. I just wrote them, hope they'll offer a refund or replacement, but it sure wasted my time and money. End of vent,

GB

2. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Did you open the box and expose the black plastic bag to light? You do know that bag is just folded over and not weld/sealed? I have used tons of arista.ultra in 5x7 and not a single fog mark, but I only open the pasteboard film box in the darkroom. Arista.edu.ultra is Foma film.

3. gbenaim

gbenaim Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    No, I only opened it in the dark, but I guess it wasn't light proof given the holes along the fold and the fogging.

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you only opened the box in the totally dark confines of your darkroom, then it sounds to me like you do have a warranty issue with the film. Freestyle should replace the film.

5. jonw

jonw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    GB, I can appreciate your frustration. Although my example is not as egregious, it was frustrating. I purchased 8x10 Ektachrome on Ebay. One of the boxes were opened and there appeared to be no problem. I traveled to the Sawtooth Mountains and exposed the film only after considerable deliberation, preparation, adjustment, and final touches for the "Perfect" shot. To be safe, I took 2 shots.........took them to the local lab for professional processing. I examined my chromes and found much to my dismay....GHOSTS.....the chrome film had previously been used...just not developed. ugh!!! :smile: Jon

BTW, Freestyle is very good about correcting problems, try giving them a call. Best Wishes!

6. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless something has changed drastically in the customer - vendor loop, product defects should be taken up with the distributor. (first)

7. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Your absolutely right, however in the case of Freestyle, they are the vendor and the distributor of their private label Arista brand films, and also the US vendor and distributor (at wholesale to other stores) of Foma materials.