Pix of your home-built cams, mods and creations here please (part 2)

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Sean, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the base and focus track with the Front standard.

[​IMG]

Apart from the metal work in this image every thing else has had to be made.

This is the back with a rotatable holder for the focus frame amd Roll film holder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] .

As I write the back has been attached to the base, I used some 90º angled metal (aluminium alloy) screwed to both the base and back after previously glueing the two together. Ththe metalhas been will be covered by 45º mahogay. The next jo is the bracing, and then the brass fittings to hold the back in place.

The wood is currently only sealed, once everything is assembled it will be french polished,

Originally I intended to use a spare Busch Pressman focus frame, which I finally found today, however I've realised the camera will look far better with a focus frame that matches the rest of the camera.

My wife omplains about the time I've been spending on this praject, not actually that long so far less than 10-12, and says I have plenty of other cameras I can use. That bit's true but all are eother 5x4 or larger or have no movements. It's hard when she doesn't understand movements and why they can be important, and why I grew frustrated with my Mamiya 645s.

Thwe camera will be finished (as in useable) in a couple of days, I can see already how practical it''ll be to use particularly the front tilt, it's also very light.

At a total cost of less than £10 ($13 US), OK doupble that for the parts from Paris, it's still a bargain compared to a Linhof.

Ian

2. dirkfletcher

dirkfletcher Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Man is that looking good!

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the slightly unsharp image of the final camera body. I've now given it a light french polish, added a tropd mount and cut a bit out to allow positioning of the track-bed lock. I still need to finish the ground-glass focus screen frame, the base of the frame that the glass sits on is ready, the T distance is spot on so there's not a huge amout left to do.

Tomorrow is assembly day. I'll see if I can use the old bellows. Then I need to make some brass fittings, I 've week before I need it finished :D

Ian

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Finally assembled and awaiting belloew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ground glass focus screen holder is nearly finished.

Ian

5. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ian, your posts and pictures are just the inspiration I need. I've been using a Crown as a field camera the past week and am reasonably happy with it. I had planned to pick up a couple junkers that a friend has around an try to improve things a bit. But seeing your pictures gives me the idea of making a hybrid with a partial baby Deardorff I have laying around. It was missing so much that I considered it scrap, and am actually using the back as a reducing back for my 5x7 Ansco. Now I'm thinking I might be able to do something with a Graphic front standard and rail assembly to resurrect the old Deardorff, at least in a new form.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark, I got my inspiration from the previous page :D

I have a lot of parts I've collected over the past few yearsvsince I first began restoring cameras after buying two Speed Graphics from the US sold as enough parts to buid one good camera, It turned out one was a pre-Anniversary the other a Pacemaker and no parts are the same, however both are now restored, I've plenty of parts to make custom cameras like the one I'm just about to finish.

While I prefer to restore to original condition it's worth using odd parts to make these custom cameras, so go for it.

Ian

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  7. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations, is indeed impressive!

8. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll show here my four home-made cameras soon!

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The finished camera, ready to take to Canada in a couple of days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've added a small cheap fresnel to the rear of the focus screen and it makes a significant difference to the brightness.

[​IMG]

The camera can use 65mm to 203mm lenses, it's fitted with a 1913 120mm Dagor in the photos. With a 203mm f7.7 Ektar it focusses to 6ft., Final weight is 1.25kg.

The test film indicates it's light-tight and working great, sharp negatives (where they should be) at f8 with shallow DOF (135mm Caltar (Symmar S). The front tilt works nicely and is exactly what I required,

Ian

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Looks great! If you ever travel down near NYC let me know! I would love to see it in person.

11. rthomas

rthomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here's a picture of my Yashica 635, with a Bay 1 to 52mm adapter so I can use 52mm accessories. IMG_0692.jpg
    Big deal, right? Some heavy-duty modification, adding a filter ring... But, what's under the lens cap? IMG_0693.jpg Aha, a pinhole!

You see, a couple years back, this camera took a fall off a classroom desk in the CPCC photo lab, which features a lovely concrete floor. The fall broke the lens aperture coupling. I took it apart to try and fix it, but alas, I'd need a parts donor. So the lens was repurposed. But I was left with a mostly-functional TLR without a taking lens. Hmmm. Hmmm hmmm hmmm.

Pinhole camera! So I did that. But I had no easy way to cover just the taking "lens" without blocking the viewfinder. Enter the adapter. I've got an order of 120 Ilford FP4+ on the way. Can't wait to put a few rolls through my new camera. :smile:

12. dirkfletcher

dirkfletcher Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Here is one just off the assembly line: image.jpeg image.jpeg Super lightweight, has some movements from the 2x3 Century Graphic standard and a composite rear standard from Walker Cameras TiTAN pinhole body made for Ilford.

Build notes are HERE, more pics are on flickr here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskLqLGes

thanks for looking!
    Dirk

13. wombat2go

wombat2go Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just one of the several flash brackets I have if I want a handle grip on any of my cameras. ^

16. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aesthetically, it looks beautiful to me. Congratulations!

17. dirkfletcher

dirkfletcher Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  18. Snowball Earth

Snowball Earth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0796.JPG Here's a speed graphic I striped and finished recently, hard to believe they covered the mahogany with leather! I'm still working on a clever way to hold the release button on now that the leathers gone but I'll come up with something.

19. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I stripped the leather (most of it anyway) off of mine a few years ago but never finished it. I solved the problem with the release button.... I lost it. Now I have to use whatever is around to poke in there... Kind of a pain!

20. Patrick Robert James

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Here is a Polaroid 4x5 conversion I built about a decade ago. It was built using spare parts I had laying around. The body started out as an 800, the rangefinder is from a 900 and the standard is from a 110a. I used a Sinar back which needed quite a lot of modifying to get right. I built this to a working condition over the course of a year or so spending a half hour on it as I had the time. A friend of mine saw it and fell in love. He asked me to build him one. I said sure. Then after I started I realized how much time it takes to do it right... I will probably never make another one. Too much time. A couple of months ago I was in Arizona and the wind blew the tripod with this camera over. I am in the process of fixing the damage lately, but getting it calibrated right is a royal pain.... Still, great camera to have!

_DSC3892.jpg

21. dirkfletcher

dirkfletcher Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's worth the work, the black and chrome look great!
    Dirk

22. Patrick Robert James

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It really is a lot of work.... After straightening everything, the front standard doesn't get the lens quite far enough out. In other words, it is focusing past infinity. I really don't feel like resetting the front standard, and am now wondering if it has always been out. Possible since I built it over such a length of time. I have some spare parts still, so I can put another track on it, but what a pain. I also found some pinholes in the bellows, which means I am going to need a new bellows. The bellows is glued on, so getting them off will be a pain.... Still, it is a great camera to have. I have made photos like this with it. Can't beat it for shooting handheld.

[​IMG]