Plagiarising Ryuji Suzuki?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by BradS, Jan 15, 2012.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I googled Konica SD-28 and found a web page entitled "Seventy-six years of D-76". It appears to be an exact copy of an article I remember reading some years ago on Ryuji Suzuki's silvergrain website. The copy is found at http://jeffreysoper.com/node/101. I cannot find the article on Ryuji's site any longer....

As far as I can tell, the copy does not give attibutibution or cite Suzuki anywhere.

It looks like blatant plagiarism to me but, maybe...????

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All of this goes back to original sources quoted in his references. He even quotes references to references such as A&T referring back to Haist. Haist and Dundon did much of the prior reporting on this and that is why all of it sounds so similar.

PE

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As the formatting is the same . . . . well spotted. He does mentiont the source though on the next page "The D-76 family of developers was based on an article "Seventy-six years of D-76" published by Ryuji Suzuki (http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/d-76.html)"

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  4. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Isn't this RS's problem? Maybe he gave permission, maybe not, but why not ask him before posting something like this?

5. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

6. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Why not ask Ryuji. He is active on APUG. I recall that quite a while back his web-server - provider - whatever, either crashed or shut down operation and a lot of his online information was lost. I believe he made a request on the alt-photo-process-list to see if anyone had some downloaded material to help restore the site. I forget the details, but as I said, just shoot him an email or pm.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Clarence

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the bottom, the page says it was written in 2003.

PE

8. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ha, that article is mine. Unless I specifically include express terms of license, people should respect the U.S. copyright laws and general protocol to obtain permission...

For record, I never released anything as "public domain" meaning you can do whatever you want kind of deal.
    I released some material on the web with a type of Creative Commons license that requires proper attribute and allows no derivative work or commercial use.

When asked, I'm generally generous about non-commercial reprint permission. I am usually happy to participate in interviews, lectures or contribute articles. But stealing article without identifying the original author isn't cool...

9. soper

soper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This page was never to go live on my site. The conent was there for my use. You should have contacted me directly. I would have taken it down.

My appologies to Ryuji this text was sent to me from a friend I captured the data for myself since the site was down.

10. moose10101

moose10101 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What's the logic behind putting content on your web page just for your own use? I'm not getting it.

11. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've done that.It makes for a very accessible library of data in case you lose the originals.:smile:

12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These days if you use a Wifi hard drive connected to your router you can access it from anywhere you have internet access or more locally by Wifi. Effectively the hard drive has become a server. So there's no need to upload to a website.

Ian