Plain hypo bath as fixer?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by DavidBrunell, Dec 24, 2012.

1. DavidBrunell

DavidBrunell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just realized I have been using a "plain hypo" bath of sodium thiosulfate as a fixer for my last 20 FB prints. Will this be OK or should I re-fix in a different fixer solution?

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should be OK. But in the future a "plain hypo" fixer also contains sodium sulfite which makes it keep longer without sulfurizing from acid carryover from the stop bath.

3. DavidBrunell

DavidBrunell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Gerald. It may have? Labeled Hypo by Zone VI...But I am erroring on the side of caution and want to make sure.

4. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Gerald, I also use plain sodium thiosulfate (penta, usually) and I find it works fine. But, if I use a weak stop bath (1%) and change it frequently, do you still recommend the necessity of the sulfite, even though I do not usually reuse the fixer after the session? (I use small liquid quantities for prints so that I can discard without wasting.) No problems yet. - David Lyga

5. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Or just use a brief rinse after the acidic stop bath, if you don't want to use sodium sulfite in the fixer and still want to reuse it.

6. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have not seen any sulfurization with your process then I wouldn't worry. However a 3% acetic acid stop might cause problems.

A good "plain" hypo bath would be 240 g sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate and 15 g sodium sulfite to make 1 liter of fixer.

7. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's been more than 20-years, but I think Hypo from Zone VI was plain hypo, while fixer with other ingredients was labeled Zone VI Fixer.
    juan

8. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nothing wrong with sodium thiosulfate, but fixation may take a little longer.

9. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Juan is correct about the two products, they sold plain hypo for use with selenium (and maybe other types of) toning and fixer for actual fixing of film and paper.
    I believe some of the other components in a fixer bath also extend the life of the solution, like keeping dissolved silver salts in solution, preventing precipitates.

Maybe PE will pick up this thread and give us a better explanation.