Plain hypo fix for negatives?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by spiritlake, Sep 22, 2011.

1. spiritlake

spiritlake Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So I just recently re-set-up my darkroom, and I have Sodium Thiosulphate and Sodium Sulfite.
    I was planning to use F-4 from photographer's formulary for my neg fix, but I'm still waiting on it to come in and getting antsy...

Has anyone used a Sodium Thiosulphate based fixer for negatives? I've read some on the forums of folks using tf-2 for Pyro negatives, but nothing else about using a Sodium Thiosulphate fix for negatives. Any success / failure stories, times, recipes, etc. would be welcome!

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. spiritlake

spiritlake Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Isn't that for VDB prints though?
    I'd glanced through it once before and the promising-looking links are sadly broken...

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before the popularity of rapid fixers based on ammonium thiosulfate people routinely fixed film and papers using sodium thiosulfate. Ansel Adams gives the following formula for a plain hypo bath

warm water 750 ml
    Sodium thiosulfate 250 g
    Water to make 1 l

Fixing time is 5 to 10 minutes.

5. desertrat

desertrat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you also have sodium sulfite, you can add that to your plain hypo fixer and it should last longer. Plain hypo fixers deteriorate pretty fast, I believe. 30 grams of sodium sulfite added to the above recipe is similar to some old recipes in Photographic Facts and Formulas (1924).

6. spiritlake

spiritlake Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's so helpful! I thought it should work, I'd just only seen the AA fixer used with fibre paper and wasn't sure on times. Thanks!

7. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thiosulphate plus sulphite is a good long lasting fixer. Have a look at:

http://www.heylloyd.com/technicl/plain.htm

The only issue might be that "new technology" films are supposed to fix better (or at least faster) in an ammonium thiosulphate fixer (i.e. "rapid fixer"). I don't know if rapid fixer is necessary.

One advantage of using a cheap fixer is that you can be a bit more generous in discarding used fixer before it causes damage (more of a problem with paper than film).

8. panchro-press

panchro-press Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A sodium thiosulphate fixer works fine for film and paper. I used one for many years. I would caution that a plain 'hypo' leaves the surface of film quite soft and vulnerable to scratches. With proper care, this shouldn't be much of an issue.
    -30-

9. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    all I use now is pure hypo...since the volume volume volume of fix I use is large with big sheets, I end up tossing the stuff after use--no saving...so I use pure hypo...it's very cheap anyways---mix fresh, use for a cuple of rolls and toss it....no muss no fuss...get if from a pool chemical place...no other admixtures is necessary I've found--never had a problem with soft emulsion yet