Plastic body and big lens - can it break the lens mount?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by tkamiya, Oct 5, 2012.

1. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder if this has ever happened in actual use....

Some 35mm bodies are made of metal, either brass or in more recent years magnesium alloys. Some are made out of poly-carbonate (ie. plastic). Some of my lenses are quite heavy, such as 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. If it is on a tripod, the tripod is mounted to the lens not the camera. But I hand-hold these a lot, that means when not in use, they hang off of a camera body which in turn has a strap which hangs from my shoulder.

Does the lens mount ever break as a result of weight or momentum? I can see how it can break if there is an impact, but that's not what I'm thinking about. In usual and common use, the combination hanging from shoulder and gently swinging, would it?

2. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can buy sling straps which connect to the tripod mount on the lens, if you're especially worried.

I've never trusted the small number of cameras out there with plastic lens mounts for this reason. Lenses with a plastic mount, fine (providing that they're light enough). But all of my SLRs have metal from tripod mount to lens mount, even if the top and baseplates are plastic.

3. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    yes

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just tied a string between the body and the lens so if it breaks, the lens won't fall to the ground.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Even with all metal cameras and lenses, if I have a large lens mounted, I will carry it by the lens and hold the lens with my left hand whilst using it.

Metal is not immune to breaking and with a big enough lens, could be more prone to disform permanently than polycarbonate which can move a bit then go back to its original shape.

Just use a bit of common sense in handling and you shouldn't have any problems whatever the lens mount or body is made from.

Steve..

6. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 300/2.8 that fits this description. I have a separate strap on the lenses tripod ring. When wearing/lugging the combo, that's the strap I use. I'd do it with a plastic camera or a metal one...

7. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Poly carbonate frames are stronger than the nickel plated brass bayonets attached to them...

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least hanging from your neck or swinging around, there will be (practically) no momemtum (torque) at the bayonet, which would otherwise easily deliever relatively large stress.
    However, fixing the camera (not the lens) to the tripod and turning the lens up or down would be the worst case scenario.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  9. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Super heavy lenses have the tripod mounts on the lens.