Platinum on Gampi, anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Davec101, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. Davec101

    Davec101 Member

    Messages:
    896
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    Cambridge, U
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    While at photo paris this year i got to see some of Koirchiro Kurita’s platinum prints on Gampi Vellum, really stunning, has anyone else tried using this paper and are there any tips for coating and processing. I will be trying some test sheets but only have a few as this japanese paper is pretty expensive over here, about £7 for a 70x50cm sheet!

    thanks

    Some info on Kurita's work can be found here :

    http://featured-photographers.projectbasho.org/
     
  2. payral

    payral Member

    Messages:
    383
    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    Location:
    France
    Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There was few pages about using Gampi paper for PD/Pt printing in a View Camera, but I don't remember which issue.
     
  3. Davec101

    Davec101 Member

    Messages:
    896
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    Cambridge, U
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks after searching i found a pdf of the article on the web its the Jan 2005 edition, for those interested you can get it here :

    http://www.studio391.net/davidjohn_lotto/viewcamera2005.pdf

    The gampi he uses is very light though around 17gsm, the gampi i intend to try it on is 96gsm, which i hope should be less prone to creasing!
     
  4. Ian Leake

    Ian Leake Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,424
    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2005
    Location:
    Switzerland
    Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The Gampi Vellum I tried didn't work very well at all, but I didn't stay with it long enough to work out what was needed to get a decent print out of it. As you say, it's very expensive stuff!

    The tissue I used works very well, but is just very, very easy to damage when wet (or when dry for that matter).
     
  5. timgray@rogers.com

    timgray@rogers.com Member

    Messages:
    21
    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2008
    Shooter:
    35mm
    I just spent some time working with some gampi (95 g) dmax was poor (and the very warm tone to the paper didn't help either), but with some images the tonality was beautiful. Some issues with the paper de-laminating in small areas, exposing the underlayer. I used the Richeson brush, but the developing time needed to be about double what I need for Platine. I've just received a couple of sheets of 30g stuff, and have ordered some fumed alumina from Bostick & Sullivan which has shown some promise in getting more convincing blacks.

    Thanks for the view camera link - using a sheet of mylar during the developing, clearing and washing process is a good tip.