Platinum prints and Liquitex Acrylic Gel

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Davec101, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whilst researching for an upcoming article i am writing I stumbled upon an a pdf written by Richard Sullivan (of Bostick and Sullivan) on platinum printing. It all sounded very familiar until I read what is written below in bold :

'Speaking of personal choices, my printing procedure is as follows. I coat Arches Platine paper with a Pd/Pt sensitizer (3:2). I use more FeOx than metal: a 4x5 print, for example, is coated with 6 drops FeOx Sol.1, 3 drops of Pd, and 2 drops of Pt. I control contrast not with the sensitizer, but the developer, specifically Potassium Oxalate developer with Sodium Dichromate as the sole contrast agent. I use Kodak Hypo Clear for three clearing baths of 5 minutes apiece. Processing is done in a Jobo drum at 25rpm. After 25 minutes in an archival washer I dry the prints face up on fiberglass screens and then soak each for one minute in an 6% solution of Liquitex Acrylic Gel Medium which increases the Dmax and tonal separation, cools the print color slightly, and also gives the print a slight amount of glossiness.'

I have never heard of this being used in the platinum printing process let alone used to modify dmax, tonal separation, print color or the glossiness of the final print. Has anyone tried this, I think the article was written some time ago. I should recieve some in the next day or so and will be testing it out.

--------------------------------------
    Further info on Liquitex Acrylic Gel Medium

Liquitex Gel Mediums add body to thinner paint for impasto techniques as well as extending colour volume and adding transparency. Gels also add “open time” as they dry slower than thinner films. These mediums also modify acrylics in a variety of ways and tend to improve adhesion and durability.

Attached Files:

2. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dave - Yes, I've used Liquitex gloss medium and many other post-printing techniques over the years to add a bit of sheen and increase DMax. The short of it is that none of them has really stuck. The best way for me to improve tonality, sheen and Dmax on a pt/pd print is to add one or more layers of gum bichromate.

3. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Kerik, do you know of any archival problems associated with using the Liquitex Acrylic Gel with platinum prints?

4. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had a thought whilst looking at your new website, is there any chance of being able to convince you to come and teach a gum over platinum workshop in London after or before you do your wetplate workshop in Scotland around christmas time? I am sure there would be some people interested in it down these parts.

5. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dave AFAIK Liquitex Gloss Medium is archival and non-yellowing, so I don't think there are any issues using it for pt/pd prints.

Unfortunately I had to cancel my trip to Scotland this year. It was to be in July not December, though. I imagine trying to do wet plate in Scotland in December would be a huge challenge! I will be returning to Scotland in the summer of either 2011 or 2012. Perhaps we could work out something then...

6. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now, that's really something to envy about!!! I really want to host more of the master practitioners / photogs here in Istanbul (we had Sandy King and Keith Gerling before...), unfortunately the funds and interest are both low... :sad:

BTW, welcome back Kerik!!! :smile:

7. Ben Altman

Ben Altman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Dave,

I've been experimenting a bit with acrylics. My painter friends all swear by Golden acrylics. They have a good web site and a bewildering variety of mediums, which I'm slowly getting to know. I'm trying both brush-on and spray-on. Net at the moment is definite improvements in dMax and depth of the print, at the cost of a tendency to look a bit plastic, which is not the way one normally thinks of a Pt/Pd print...
    Good quality acrylics are thought to pretty archival, I understand, and probably protect the paper from atmospheric chemicals. However Golden recommend a removable UV blocking varnish over the acrylic, as the acrylic surface can pick up dust and fingerprints and the varnish can in theory be removed and redone by a restorer - let's hope any of our prints are thought to merit such attention! Have not got as far as trying varnish yet, so don't know what the final look would be.

8. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you, Loris!

9. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I've simply post-sized a few kallitypes with 5% gelatin and they really look pretty damned good if I do say so myself. Cheap n easy.

10. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed, that could work - in order to increase dmax - also. But the "thing" with polyurethane and/or acrylic coatings is that you can exhibit the prints w/o glass; that's both good in terms of aesthetic and in terms of cost... You can wipe the surface with a moist (and clean) piece of cloth, "since the coating is impermeable". Therefore, there's definitely a potential in using such coatings - as long as you can live with the "unnatural" gloss.

Regards,
    Loris.

11. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    IMO, those type of coatings look like what they are - plastic. Not very pretty.

12. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 on what Don said..but that's just my take.

Like Kerik mentioned a layer of gum works-quite well IMHO

13. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. Just dropped the practice for that reason.

OTOH, it's not more ugly than exhibiting the print under glazing. In case of an exhibition, I may actually prefer these coatings (depending on the circumstances - not in every case!) instead of placing glazing in front of the image. Your prints look much more luminous when taking that route, and no glazing definitely cuts down costs - especially so if you would normally use high quality (so called museum grade) UV protecting / high transparency / anti-reflective (but w/o adding any texture!) glass...

Regards,
    Loris.

14. Ben Altman

Ben Altman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is a large variety of gel media, some matt, some gloss, and also matt and gloss varnishes. My limited experiments suggest that the effects when sprayed on could be useful but fairly subtle while providing the protection that Loris notes. Not the traditional look, but maybe suitable for some projects.

Who knows, maybe we could get a Pt/Pd print to look like a "real giclee" print...:D

Ben

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just about everything in Scotland is wet in December!

Steve.

16. billvaccaro

billvaccaro Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Diluting Liquitex

Does anybody know the proper dilution to get a 6% solution? I'm assuming it's 6 mL gel medium for every 94 mL distilled water and the techies at Liquitex seem to concur. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right before plunging in.

Oh, and the author of the article that David cites is not Richard Sullivan but William Laven of www.platinotype.com fame. Just to set the record straight.