Plenty of ThorntonPickard shutters

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ian Grant, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Currently there's a lot of these excellent shutters on Ebay (in the UK) at the moment many from the same seller finishing around the same time. This is unusual and will mean they fetch less than normal. £20/$33 would be a good price.

These shutters are very easy to repair, but all appear to function OK, the cord is a simple to replace if missing.

I've just fully re-furbished a real dead beat Thornton Pickard shutter sold for parts, and it now functions perfectly although I need to make a new cable release mechanism. But there's no Rocket science they are extremely simple & logical :D

I may buy another :smile:

Ian

2. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian care to tell/show how you repair the shutter. I have a TP shutter that the cloth shutter need replacing, the rest is fine.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a website with details of making a new shutter blind it's not difficult at all. In my case I removed the blind, cleaned off a lot of flaking material, maybe someone had tried to repair it previously and seal pinholes etc, I used methylated spirits. I then ironed the cloth and re-sealed/light proofed it using a flexible acrylic black paint which soaked into the material. The woodwork was french polished before re-assembly and final adjustment.

This link
    is useful for general LF Focal plane shutter repair, but her's the TP shutter repair pages, I re-built mine before reading this :D

I'd add that the best cord I could find was for window blinds.

Hope that helps

Ian

4. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian, have BM the pages for a rainy day

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Every day was a rainy day when I was in the UK restring my TP shutter :D