Plus-X avalibility in Sydney

Discussion in 'Australia' started by gregrudd, Apr 24, 2008.

1. gregrudd

gregrudd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi All

Is it true that Plus-X is starting to become hard to obtain in Sydney? As I went into Foto Riesel yesterday to see if I could get aprox 10 rolls and said they doubt that Kodak makes it anymore. Last time I asked last year they said that Kodak said that it was un avail until Kodak gets more film from the States. Also is the single use E6 kits easy to obtain as since the merger of Vision Graphics and the Lab I am finding it hard to get to an E6 lab near by my work.

2. Akalai

Akalai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quick search of Plus-X shows it available on Kodak's website and you would have already heard about it on APUG had it been discontinued.

Did anyone at Foto Riesel offer to call Kodak Aus. or whoever they purchase from to check???

You are a lot better of buying film direct from Vanbar Imaging via their website (www.vanbar.com.au) or in person at their Camperdown store;

Vanbar Imaging
    Unit 2 / 1 Gordon Street
    Camperdown, NSW 2050
    tel: (02) 9550-5833

hours: Mon - Fri 8.30am - 5.30pm
    Sat 8.30am - 12.00 midday

You'll get a straight answer from people who actually know what they are talking about at Vanbar and if they don't know they will check for you.

As for E6 processing there aren't a whole lot of options left. I used Phototechnica up until their demise last week. I am not sure where you are located but Vanbar supposedly offer an E6 service, although I have never used it, but the only other options I know of are for the Lab in Danks Street Waterloo who I have used and could recommend and Stephen Frizza of Lighthouse in Bondi, who I have yet to use.

Vanbar again would most likely be the best to ask about purchasing an E6 kit from.

3. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I needed to buy some Plus-X in Sydney my first port of call would be Ted's Pitt St as they seem to keep the best range. Vanbar second I suppose. You could also try the ACP in Paddington but the film might be out of date. If you have more time I would suggest trying one of the ebay sellers such as cheapshots. The film is in date & usually a much better price than the retail outlets. I don't know why a retailer would be suggesting that Plus-X is no longer being made. People should stick to facts, not wild guesses.

As for E6 there are only 2 quality options in Sydney now - Vision Imagelab & the Lighthouse. I know that Foto Riesel had a courier service with Vision at Redfern, not sure if that is still going but it seemed like a good deal for city workers. Otherwise you might consider using mail order to deal with the Lighthouse. It might seem strange if you live in Sydney but for some people it could be preferable to getting to Bondi if that's inconvenient.

4. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In January, I tried to buy some Plus X from Vanbar (Carlton), and they were adamant that it had been discontinued (and they had none in stock) - well I ordered four boxes from Freestyle instead (slightly cheaper, even with postage), and then a month later, Vanbar seemed to have Plus X in stock again (both 120 x 135), with just "shrugs" in response to me trying to clarify ongoing availability... I love Vanbar, but I reckon these days we are probably better informed about matters film here on APUG!!

Marc!

5. paul ewins

paul ewins Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I bought some Plus-X (120) at Vanbar in Carlton a couple of weeks ago and was told it had been discontinued. I didn't ask whether that was just 120 or all types.

6. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So what's new about inaccurate or unhelpful service at Vanbar? :wink:

7. Goldfellow

Goldfellow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Plux-X is indeed still being produced and sold. It is not uncommon for a retailer, who no longer stocks one of our films, to tell a customer it is off the market. And so the rumors start..

8. trotkiller

trotkiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok firstly the E6 processing:

The Lighthouse Lab
    -In bondi
    -Run by APUG subscriber Stephen Frizza
    -Operates an Australia wide mail service
    -Great value
    -Why go anywhere else???? (I have had E6 work done by vision graphics, no probs with there work but Stephen rocks!!!)

Secondly, Vanbar..... Possibly the most useless photographic retailer i have ever dealt with... I have a back order with them at the moment which is coming up 5 months old.

It might be cheaper and a quicker to import the film from the states or try the auction site, you might get some from HK for a nice price

Edit: I would also give Ted's a try

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  9. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was in Ted's (Pitt St) on Thursday and there was plenty of Plus-X on the shelf but no Tri-X!! Also no negative sleeves. Don't tell me I'm going to have to start importing them as well.

10. Matthew Gorringe

Matthew Gorringe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's interesting,
    I have had nothing but excellent service from Vanbar and they almost always have what I need. Ortho film, Rollei IR, Chromium intensifier, gold toner; seriously all of the hard to find stuff is there on the shelf. The people there know photography because they practice it and I've never had misinformation form the Sydney store.

What exactly have you been waiting for for 5 months?

PS. Does Ted's have any of the things I just mentioned on the shelf? Will they order it?

11. trotkiller

trotkiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been waiting on sensor cleaning kit for my DSLR... i'm not too worried about that as it means i just shoot film.... and a bottle of photo-flo.

Not sure if they wpould have any of that stuff... they have a range of chems on the shelf so you might be lucky...

12. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... I don't think Ted's will have any of that - their chemistry section is very basic and I didn't see either of those films in there when I was there last week.

You have an outside chance with the chemicals being on the shelf at Foto Riesel but I'd call before I went in.

When I've asked about ordering things at Ted's they've said that they would, but the Rollei film at least would probably come through Vanbar (I'm pretty sure they're the distributer in Australia).

For the film I'd recommend an order from Freestyle in the US. I had my order one week after placing it. Might run into some shipping problems with the chemicals though.

David.

13. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's bizarre - I was in there about a fortnight ago and they definitely had neg sleeves on the shelf.

As for the film, I've noticed that they have a better range of ilford in B&W and Fuji in colour than they do for Kodak in either - not sure why though...

14. gregrudd

gregrudd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As to Teds the last time I was in there one of the senior sales reps had told me that film sales were starting to pick up again. So perhaps the shock has passed and film demand has started to stablise, abit a lot less than what it was 8 years ago. One shop I do miss was Fletcher's Industrial. Ned and Suresh sure had an excellent knowledge of their product and provided excellent service. One of the old Fletcher's Industrial guys now works at Riesel and I try to search him out as one of the best sales reps at Riesel.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  15. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apologies to all but on second thoughts I believe what I saw in plentiful supply was Pan-F and not Plus-X. David is right. Plenty of Ilford and Fuji film at Teds but only a small amount of Kodak TMax. I don't normally buy much 35mm other than Tri-X and HP5 so that's my excuse for lack of precision in my first post!

16. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I emailed Kodak about 2 months ago asking if Plus-X was going to be discontinued or not. Despite the claim on their site that they try to answer emails in 24 hours, I've yet to hear from them ... :rolleyes:

17. gregrudd

gregrudd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pan-F still is a good film. Thanks for the heads up.

18. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went to Vanbar Sydney today & they still stock an impressive range of stuff. They had the new version of Tmax in 4x5 & 35mm. A good supply of some Polaroid films such as 669 & 600. Obscure chems like Maco super lith & Paterson Aculux 2. Looked like they had most Ilford paper sizes. Also they had a huge range of films. Definitely plenty of Plus-X.

I'll retract my earlier comment & say that Vanbar is the first place to visit in Sydney for traditional photo items.

Does anyone remember the previous Vanbar shop in Glebe? That used to be heaven to visit in the '90s. It was photo paper from floor to ceiling, wall to wall back then.

19. gregrudd

gregrudd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the heads up. I think I will be putting an order in soon.

20. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last week I had a look at the Kodak Australia item availability list & Plus-X is shown as no longer available in Australia. Indent only, & that was for all sizes. This was dated July 2007. So perhaps that is the reason for local shops saying it has been discontinued. They would know they can't get it from Kodak Oz.