Plus X development

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by spd2f, Sep 3, 2008.

1. spd2f

spd2f Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone have any development time suggestions for plus x in D76? Do the Kodak recommended times produce good results? I have a bunch of rolls exposed at EI 100 that need processing

Thanks!

2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    D-76 1:1 just like Kodak says to do it produces wonderful results.

Grandfather's Iris

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  3. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was always confused by Kodaks weird times for the new emulsion of Plus-X so I use rodinal 1:25, 6:30 at 20C - wonderful film!

4. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    03 Sept 2008

spd2f:

D76 (1:1) is my standard developer with Plus-X (PX). I develop PX for 8:30 min in D76(1:1). Note that I use the Ilford agitation sequence (10 sec every minute), not Kodak's sequence of every 30 sec.

I have also been confused by Kodak's development times, hence I test to find my own. I agree with CuS that PX is a wonderful film.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Darwin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  5. Loren Sattler

Loren Sattler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Published time is 8-1/2 minutes for D76 1:1, for diffusion enlarger (read the fine print in the Kodak literature on their web site). For my condenser enlarger, I use 7 minutes as my standard time with 6 vigorous inversions every 30 seconds. With moderate to bright light this yields negatives that print well on an Ilford 1-1/2 filter. For very bright light I may reduce to 6 minutes; for dim light I increase accordingly to say 9-10 minutes.
    Prior to adapting this agitation method, I suffered uneven development with Plus-X in D76 1:1. The edges of the negatives near where they ride in the stainless steel film roll holder would be thin (under developed).
    For some reason, I get more even development with Tri-X in D76 1:1, especially in very bright light despite the vigorous agitation. These comments are for 120 film in Mamiya C330 or Rolleicord equipment.

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to APUG, Loren! It's been a while since I saw you in Michigan. Hope you're faring well!
    I will try your development method as I've had trouble getting it right with Plus-X. But when it turns out well, it works really well!
    Take care,
    - Thomas

7. danzyc

danzyc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    if you have leica.....try d:76 stock! .....wonderful tone!!!!!! it seems to be color emulsion!

8. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For Plus-X I've used Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand and gotten wonderful shots. But the best were taken in Vegas using Hc-110 1:50 straight from the syrup for 10min. Fine grain and nice tonal range. Gave up D76 decades ago, too much of a hassle to mix up. Plus, Rodinal lasts practically forever. I still have 1 bottle from 8 years ago that works fine.

9. Thanasis

Thanasis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

With your Rodinal semi-stand, how long do you develop for and what are your initial and periodic agitations?

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not Rolleijoe, but I'd estimate somewhere around 30 minutes at 1:100 dilution and 20*C / 68*F. Agitate once or twice.

- Thomas

11. Thanasis

Thanasis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks alot, Thomas.

12. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just can second the use of plus X in rodinal 1+100