Plus-X in 4x5

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Don Wallace, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have an expired box of 100 sheets of Plus-X in 4x5. I normally shoot FP4 and develop in HC-110 in a Jobo. Any suggestions for the Plus-X?

2. Dave Dawson

Dave Dawson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don, I would suggest you make one exposure with FP4 and one with Plus-X, develop them together and see how you go.

Good luck Dave

3. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I guess I should have been more specific. Has anyone any experience with HC-110 in Plus-X? Any other suggestions? I have heard that D-76 and Plus-X is a good combination too.

4. Hal Reiser

Hal Reiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Plus-X in D-76 1:1 is an excellent combination. I used it for years and got great results.

5. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been working on several boxes of PLUS-X Pan Professional 4x5 sheet film which expired back in '69. When developed in D-76 from '64 mixed at 1:3, it looks just fine. The only problem is a serious spot problem if I use stop bath. So I use water instead.

6. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak hasn't made Plus-X in 4x5 for a long time, so I'm thinking your film is way past expiration. Still, Plus-X is pretty sturdy stuff and should be fine if it's been stored cold.

I'd proceed by using the recommended times in the current documentation for the film. There have been some slight adjustments over the years, but from what I've seen they have been well within the margin of error for the home user. Use the times given for rotary processors on page 4 of this document and adjust from there if necessary. Should be just fine.

7. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have had great success in developing expired 4x5 Plus-X in HC-110 dilution B. Wonderful tones to the negatives. I used standard times as published by Kodak for Plus-X in HC-110b.