Plus X pan vrs. FP4+

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Mike Kennedy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was told this afternoon that my local photo store won't be stocking any Ilford products for some time.Seems they can only place their order twice a year from their distributer.
    Thought I might try Kodak Plus X pan for a change.Can any member offer a comparison between this kodak film and Ilfords FP4+?

Thanks

2. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    FP 4 is glorious film and used by many discerning photographers.

Plus X on the other hand gave Ansel Adams pause to say Plus X maybe the worst film I've ever tried.

Cheers!

3. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

I don't have much experience with Plus X. But I highly recommend T-MAX 100 and Fuji Acros as replacements of a bout the same ASA for FP4+.

Sandy King

4. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh good grief! :rolleyes: Plus-x is likewise a "glorious film and used by many discerning photographers."

Buy a roll and try it. If you don't like it, go to plan B.:smile:

5. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Davids got the "right" idea buy a roll or two or three and give it a try. I think film preference is very subjective, some films may work better for your style of shooting, developing, and printing than other film. A film that may work for me may not work for you. I have never had any luck with PanF+ but many others have, I don't think it is a "bad" film, just not one for me. I like Efke 25 if I want a slooooooowwwww film.

Oh yea-----Acros--great 100asa film

6. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams also hated William Mortensen as much as he hated Plus-X, so this might be a question of taste...

As for Plus-X, I have used it in HC-110 dil.h from the syrup, 9', 10s agitation each minute, and it is every bit as glorious as could be.

It's an upsewpt curve film, so you get really sparkling highlights and solid blacks. I did not like it in XTOL because it was kind of muted, but in HC-110 it's very nice. I think it's a great film to try in 120 because sparkling highlights go very well with smooth gradations.

In 35mm, I'm not sure yet, I have to use it a little more.

My favorite film is still APX 100 / Rollei Retro 100 in Rodinal 1+50, but I was heartened to see that Plus-X in HC-110 was something that I could like as much. It's different, but very pleasurable.

7. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll take Dave's advice and buy a few rolls then develop them with Michele's recomendation.

8. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plus-x in d-76 1+1 has a lot of life to it.

9. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Wow!

If you're not using a pyro based developer than there really is no discussion!

10. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plus-X is a nice film. I like FP4 Plus better, but if it disappeared, I'd live with Plus-X. It has a nice tonality, especially developed in PMK.

I also like Fomapan 100. It's grainier, but it's got a really nice tonality.

I'd suggest trying some Plus-X, but consider mail ordering some FP4 Plus too. Adorama, B&H and Freestyle all ship reasonably economically to Canada, especially if you make bigger orders.

11. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, please report back and tell us what you think after you've had a chance to try out the Plus-x. I wouldn't worry too much about the Ansel thing, today's Plus-x is pretty different from the film he shot and that is just one man's opinion anyway.

12. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    erikg,now my problem is finding Plus X.Small town New Brunswick makes it difficult to do much testing.If I can't find PlusX at a reasonable price I'll order FP4+ online.

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never did like Plus-X, Fp4 gave me better results, AA might have been right on this one. Kodak should have dropped Plus-X instead of Panatomic-X. I wish Ilford Pan F was available in sheet but that's another story.

I prefer FP4 to Plus-X.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have found that Plus-X works really well in high contrast lighting. Developed in a compensating developer such as Pyrocat it will really shine under these conditions. It's also fantastic as a portrait film indoors, but its reciprocity characteristics has a very sharp curve when the times get long.
    I just printed a very high brightness range scene for a client, one of his negatives, 35mm shot on Plus-X. Developed commercially in Xtol of all things I got one of the nicest 11x14s I've ever made from 35mm.

Ilford FP4+ I always thought was my favorite film along with Tri-X. Somehow they feel like each other's cousins strangely enough. It has fine grain and works great in all kinds of lighting. It's a very versatile film.

I have a feeling you'll like both. Try it. It won't hurt.

- Thomas

16. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know why people are so down on Plus-x. It's a very good film once you nail a setting.
    Plus-x test
    Recent versions I've found are quite different to the old emulsion so if you are using old dev times, you may have to play around a bit to get the tonal range you like.
    I use Rodinal at 1:100 for 15 mins.

17. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some nice stuff M.A.
    I'll have to track down a few rolls of Plus X.

18. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, if you need a postal order from down here, you know where to find me.

19. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most kind of you Michel.

Mike

20. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Canadian mail-order film dealer suggestion.

Henry's [ Henrys.com ] often has in stock most of the films I seek. So far, I've seen free shipping offered for Dec. 2007 and Feb. 2008.

21. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought a fair amount of 120 Plus X from Don's Photo in Canada. Their website indicates that they will sell it or FP4:

http://www.donsphoto.com/products.html#DHE:Catalog:Line:1480:tongue:age:1:SortOn:brand:Dept:8

Matt

P.S. the Search function to the lower left makes it much easier to use

22. maart

maart Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find plus-x and fp4 very different in character. I like plus-x very much in 120 in Rodinal. Indeed, in contrasty light-conditions I find it perfect. A bit less dramatic as Tri-x but very correct. In D76 though I find it dull. In 35 mm I prefer fp4, it seems in 35 mm really sharper than plus-x. So just as others said: try both and taste.

Maarten

23. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't get the hate on plus-x. Ansel Adams never liked grainy shots anyway. I'd probably say plus-x and tri-x are the punk rock of films. They're rough and grainy, which is a style I like. Ansel liked to shoot mountains, trees, rivers, clouds. I like my alleyways, abandoned barns, broken down cars, etc. so, it's definately a question of style and choice. Plus-x has been my film of choice for about 5 years, but now that it's stopped I'll have to try something else. I've had good results with tmax, although i'd like to give fp4 another rip. Something tells me that they just won't be the same, but photography is about adjusting and changing. You can't sit stagnant forever or you'll never progress. Try all kinds of film and developer combinations and see what works for you and your style.

24. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jordan said:
    "Plus-x has been my film of choice for about 5 years, but now that it's stopped I'll have to try something else."

Plus-X has been discontinued?? What do you mean by stopped?

Thankful for clarification.

- Thomas

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It has been discontinued in sheet film sizes, and it certainly isn't emphasized in any of the promotional material that refers to the "new" Kodak Black & White films.

Matt

26. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it's definately discontinued in sheet sizes is what my local camera store tells me. However, keep in mind this is Canada. We don't have nearly the resources as you guys do down there in the US. In the province of Alberta I can only find one store that has film and they have to "special order" it. I guess you could check the Kodak site for further clarification. When my local stores says "discontinued" it might just be for that store, their supplier or Canadian suppliers. If anyone could clarify further on the status of Plus-x and Tri-x film in Canada I certainly would appreciate it.