Pocket Light Meter for iPhone

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by nsurit, Aug 29, 2011.

1. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone out there using the "Pocket Light Meter" app for their iPhone? If so, how is it working for you? I have a great spot meter, however I almost always have my phone with me . . . Bill Barber

2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have the Droid version and after I calibrated (it was off by about 2/3 a stop because I don't think they knew about the tinted glass) it has worked great. My ex uses it on her iPhone and it seems to be quite impressive. I'd go for it.

3. jmain

jmain Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use it all the time. It's great. It was off about 1 stop for my needs but is easily adjusted in the settings.

4. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have this app and use it a lot. You're right, most people have their phone with them now, so it's handy. Like any meter, it's got its own process or quirks...overall I really like it and find it accurate (although, for disclosure, I use it for B&W neg shooting)

5. LeiaNicole

LeiaNicole Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I only use the Pocket Light Meter app. It's so convenient and has done me good so far.

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's accurate. But iPhones can crash and at times, I've had to restore it. I would have a back up meter. My iPhone is a lemon though.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I find it works surprisingly well, as long as you're particularly careful about where you point it (as is necessary with any spot meter). While I was traveling in July, I found myself using it quite a bit when my 5-deg attachment for my Minolta Flashmeter III was giving me unreliable readings. I eventually sorted out the problem with my Flashmeter, but in the meanwhile, the Pocket Light Meter app was giving me reasonable readings.

8. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have no complaints and it often is exactly what my camera's light meter is reading. I think is wonderful, for free no less!

9. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use it exclusively. I have, on one occasion, found it to have gone bonkers, totally giving me whacky readings, which I was fortunate enough to catch (thanks, sunny 16 rule!). A reboot of the iPhone fixed it up.

It's great to be able to have a visual feedback of exactly *what* you're metering for... something that is not easy to get unless you have a good, and expensive spot meter. Highly recommended.

10. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, another user here too. It was out about 2/3 compared to my lunasix (my regular, big bulky meter). I've been using the pocket meter to get an idea of if/how a shot will work, but still use my 'real' meter when it comes to the shot (prefer incident in most incidents :tongue:).

One limitation I notice regularly, is that it isn't great in low light. I shoot in low ambient light a fair bit, and tracked down a lunasix years ago for that very reason. Once dusk starts to fall, I find I can no longer find anything to meter off with the app.