Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 with 503 CW

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Char, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Char

Char Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can I use Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 with 503 CW for remote flash? I remember I can do it with Plus II. How do I setup with Flex TT5?

2. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    you just stick it on and use the camera... they say those models are only for canon and nikon but I use them on everything... Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 7, Canon AE-1, Minolta... etc... I haven't had to change anything...

4. jeff.blackwell

jeff.blackwell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can use them for manual sync, but not TTL with your 503 CW. This is especially true if you connect your Pocket Wizards to your computer via the USB port, and using the utility software, set up one of the channels as strictly manual, so the unit will not transmit or receive TTL information.

5. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oh sorry, I NEVER use TTL I always have a separate meter... So my apologies, but if you are using studio strobes then the TTL isn't really used anyway? Only if you pair the thing with canon speed lights. Or am I still missing something?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

6. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is how I have mine setup - channel 1 for TTL control with speedlites and Canon SLR, and channel 2 as basic sync to use with everything 'not Canon' as well as older pocket wizards. It works splendidly...

Marc!

7. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I should try that but I don't even understand half the functions lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

8. digic

digic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is how I do it as well. One of the C-modes must be set to "Basic trigger".

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stone- depends on the camera and strobes. Some Hasselblads were capable of TTL/OTF flash metering with dedicated strobes like the Hasselblad flash, various Metz flashes, and some Broncolor power packs could be operated TTL. I doubt though that the PocketWizards were ever made to connect those two systems as it would have been a pretty esoteric bit of kit with very low sales volume.

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yea I get that, as I said I never use TTL metering with my pocket wizards, since I use them with my Profoto packs and set it all manually and meter with my Sekonic meter.

I honesty don't know how to use TTL properly, I don't like how unpredictable it is, it's unpredictable because I don't know how it works lol.

I used to use it at weddings with my on camera speedlight flash, but even that I stopped using as it was unpredictable and now set it all manually.

~Stone

11. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well one advantage of using TTL would be squeezing every last drop of hypersync/high speed sync out of tiny speedlites to balance your flashes to sunlight (ie sync at ridiculous >1/1000th second shutter speeds). This has been something of a revelation with the TTL Pocket Wizards, enabling wide portraiture apertures whilst using the sun as a backlight and so on (like you can do with a 'portable' studio flash and powerpack).

Marc!

12. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ...also, with the little AC3 controller - I generally run the camera in manual, and leave the speedlites on eTTL setting - and then I can dial the power up and down (in groups) from the camera point - like using a theatrical lighting desk. It makes ponderous lighting 15% more fun and efficient...

Marc!

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    why not just use a portable studio flash then hehe.

but on the serious side, why use a pocket wizard for this at all ... at this point why not just use the canon or nikon speedlights themselves... whats the point of the pocket wizard when you can just do it with the canon equipment ?

14. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    range, and putting your flash out of line of sight of other flashes... f'rinstance lighting the doorway of a room you can't see behind a subject, or in architectural photography...

Marc!

15. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ok I'll take the distance thing, but speedlights have their own transmitter system, and yes only recently moved from IR to radio frequency, but it's available.

Ok thanks for the info, I can see your good points.

I think I've also taken over this thread enough. Lol

~Stone