Polarizers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Peter De Smidt, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recently I've started to shoot a lot of color in MF and LF, and I have a cheap Rokunar polarziser that fits most of my lenses, but it is a POC, with a decided blue tinge. I've noticed that there are a lot of new polarizers, from Hoya and others, with special anti reflection coatings and anti-scratch coatings, but I have no experience with them. I'd prefer a neutral filter, but if not slightly warm is better than slightly cold. Any suggestions? My largest diameter lens is my 120 F8 super angulon with 82mm threads. 67mm would fit most of my other lenses.

2. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is a POC? The only guess I could come up with is Piece of Crap, and something tells me that is not what you meant.

3. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Charles, you got it with the first try!

4. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a Moose's warming circular polariser (Hoya, I think) in a bayonet fitting for my MF outfit. It has been very good.

Ian

5. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Have a B&W CPL MRC filter, is neutral (Minolta Colormeter III), works good, bit pricy though.

Peter

6. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter, Does it clean ok?

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try another polarizing filter or a warming polarizing filter.

Note to self: add POC to LOAA.

Steve

8. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95_8GB/30.0.018; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I have used both hoya and cokin filters and have always been very happy with them.

9. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, including those PM'd to me.

Yep, I'm going to try a different polarizer filter. I'm resigned to paying quite a bit of money for one, but since that's the case, I want to make sure I get a really good one. In fact I already have 4 polarizer filters, a 49mm Zeiss Jena, a 52mm Tiffen Warm, a 55mm Tiffen, and a 67mm Rokunar. That's also the order of my preference. In addition, I have a bunch of other filters, Tiffen, Nikon, B+W, Heliopan, Hoya, Rollei, Kodak..., and I do slightly prefer the brass-ringed filters. My experience is that regular glass filters are fairly easy to clean. I know how to clean lenses, as I read Richard Knoppow harping on this on Usenet for years. (Brush off dust. Roll lens paper into a tube. Tear in half...) The problem is the coated filters, especially the early Tiffen and B+W MC ones, which even after careful cleaning don't come clean. My main question is have any of the newer MC filters solved this problem? See Photobugs "review" at: http://www.amazon.com/Heliopan-77mm-Circular-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B0000BZLPW to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

My second question has to do with neutrality. Some of you may remember an article in one of the photo mags, probably way back in the 1990s, about polarizers. Simply place all of the various ones on a light table, and you will quickly see that they aren't all the same color. Back then, some brand's warm version was actually more neutral than their regular version. My Rokunar is definitely on the cool side, and I don't need a Minolta color meter to figure that out, although I might have one of those meters lying around somewhere. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy one of each of the filters to see which ones are really neutral or slightly warm.