Polaroid Discontinued--Boston Globe 02/08/08

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by tjaded, Feb 7, 2008.

1. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all--
    I just received some news that is not good. In the Boston Globe tomorrow (Friday the 8th) there will be an article that will contain the announcement that Polaroid is ceasing all film products. That is all I know right now, so make sure to check the Boston Globe tomorrow for the full story (which I can only hope will not be as bad as it sounds.) This is meant as a heads up to watch for the full story...I know nothing else. I hope this is not viewed as a thread that should not be started, I just wanted to get the info out there.
    Adios,
    Matt

2. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whatever the news from Polaroid may be, I hope the article is available on line. If someone could post a link to it, if it materializes, I would greatly appreciate it.

3. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Boston Globe has a pretty good online edition

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/?p1=GN_TodaysGlobe

Keeping fingers and a bunch of other limbs crossed

Mike

4. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Someone please say "April Fools" :sad:

5. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Polaroid is ceasing all film products, and the anouncement is to be made in the "Boston Globe"? WTF?

6. Jeanne

Jeanne Subscriber

Polaroid's based in Waltham Mass -- that's why, I guess. I bet it'll be in a few other papers as well, Actually, I hope it's in NO papers and is not true!

7. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

Well, maybe that makes some kind of sense, but I'll be pissed... I just got another 545 holder! Polaroid has always been very good about notices concerning thier products. I hope they don't pull a Kodak.

8. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/02/08/polaroid_shutting_2_mass_facilities_laying_off_150/

The nut grafs:

"The Norwood plant is shutting down, and we will soon be winding down activities at the Waltham facility as well," said Kyle MacDonald, senior vice president of Polaroid's instant photography business segment. The closures, set for completion during this quarter, will eliminate about 150 jobs. In the late 1970s, Polaroid employed about 15,000 in Massachusetts.

The Norwood and Waltham plants make large-format films used by professional photographers and artists. Polaroid also makes professional-grade films in Mexico, and its consumer film packs come from a factory in the Netherlands. All these plants are slated for closure this year. Polaroid chief operating officer Tom Beaudoin said the company is interested in licensing its technology to an outside firm that could manufacture film for faithful Polaroid customers. If that doesn't happen, Polaroid users would have to find an alternative photo technology, as the company plans to make only enough film to last into next year.

Polaroid has already quietly halted production of instant cameras. "We stopped making commercial-type cameras about 18 to 24 months ago, and we stopped making consumer cameras about a year ago," said Beaudoin.

9. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If that doesn't happen, Polaroid users would have to find an alternative photo technology...

Sounds like a sh*^ deal to me.

10. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. msuchan

msuchan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sadly that seems to be their plan.

12. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "It's about time," said Ron Glaz, director of digital imaging program at IDC Corp. "The fact that they're getting out of film makes complete sense."

Nice.

This is awful news, but there's always the possibility someone will pick up the technology on a more profitable production model. Remember when SX-70 went out of production, and SX-70 blend came along. The infrastructure is still there, it just needs to be employed properly.

This reaches far beyond our circles too - just the regular 600 integral photos are a part of culture today. A lot of my friends have been utterly horrified by this news.
    A sad day.

13. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess I won't be buying a 545 holder after all... *huddles under the sheets and cries*

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would expect Fujifilm Instant to be the main choice, though I can hope their prices get a little better. The only downside is that Fujifilm Instant (like FP100C) does not manipulate well at all.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

16. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    An other victim of the cancer that is digital photography

17. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It certainly appears that way. Too bad, but I think the writing has been on the wall for some time.

18. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I really hope fujifilm take up the consumer polaroid 600 film production. I have an instax camera and it's not the same as my lovely sx-70 which I really really like to use (partly due to it's close focusing ability).

19. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    my clients complain that the colour in fuji is too good hehehe....oh and some complain that fuji has bigger problems with reciprocity failure. any enlightenment?

Polaroid gone? Im crying.

20. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been looking for a 600 camera in local shops for a few weeks now and can't find them. I guess I'll stop looking now :sad:

22. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to Tom Beaudoin the company is interested in licensing its technology to an outside firm (Fuji?) that could manufacture film for the (soon former) Polaroid users. Will that happen and what technology is in question P/N 55?

Kind regards

23. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Why not buy a 545 holder? The cost is much less than the film you'll shoot. They said in the article they will be manufacturing film to take them through 2009. That is two years + whatever you stock up and can use in the next 3-4 years. Why not buy it, enjoy it, and use it while it is still around?

24. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got an 8x10 processor that I've been waiting to use and now have to decide if it's worth spending the $25/ sheet just to use the damned thing. I'd gotten word last month that this was in the offing but it still bites. Sad part is, Polaroid doesn't store well so no point in laying in a stash.

Wonder if Fuji will bite ?

25. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is indeed a huge bummer. Huge bummer... does Fuji make instant 4x5 or 8x10 film, now?

26. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very sad. I'm still busy doing some series on Polaroid.

G