Polaroid/Fuji instant on Graflex' Century Graphic

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by brooy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. brooy

brooy Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I wondered whether I could use the Fuji FP-100B (3.25 x 4.25") instant film on my Graflex Century Graphic.

Using 120 film is no problem (with the RH-8 and RH-10 backs) but which options would I have for taking "Polaroid" shots? Which film back do I need?

Any feedback welcome!

2. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Polaroid 405 will do it.

3. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Polaroid 405 or a Fuji PA-145 takes FP-100B, FP-100C, FP-3000B, FP-400B film

4. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A Century has a 2X3 Graflok back. I don't think a 405 will fit. At least the 405s I know of are for 4X5 cameras.There may be a pack Polaroid back which fits a 2X3 Graflok directly, but I'm not familiar with it if there is.

Len

5. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2x3, yeah I should have kept that in mind.

6. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just made another one of those silly assumptions without checking that there really was a Century Graphic in 4x5... Oops.

7. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Won't work without some sawing and gluing.

8. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It sure sounds like a good excuse to buy a 4X5 Crown or Speed Graphic. You can never have enough Graphics. Problem solved!

Len

9. brooy

brooy Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you all for adding insight - to the apparently rather undiscovered country of Century Graphics :smile:
    I have purchased a 405 back via eBay, should arrive in about 2 weeks. It seems the only way to actually check it out. If it fits, I'll let you know, if it doesn't, I'll make it work... and let you know too.
    A Happy New Year to all!

10. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was somewhat joking about buying a 4X5 Graphic, but since you have a 405 on the way, it may turn out to be what you need to do. If you are handy with tools, making an adapter to hang the 405 on your Century seems possible. However, any adapter will probably move the film plane back enough the rangefinder won't be accurate. If you plan to focus with the ground glass all the time, you might be able to live with this. I recall back in the 1960s there was a Graphic Polaroid back that predated pack film. It came with an adapter to move the focusing screen back the proper amount. Searching past posts over on Graflex.org http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/index.php?c=5&sid=b0af9177aa81dfcbe4498da1449a7d77 might uncover a solution I don't know about.

Len

11. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here you go. Just modded my (unused) Hassie polaroid back to attach to a 2x3 Century.

IMG_0302.jpg

It almost covers all of the 3x4 instant film:

IMG_0304 2.jpg

The bar at the bottom clearly is from the opening of the 2x3 pack film holder that I used to make the Franken holder. I bet it could be shaved off to make a more complete coverage :smile:

Attached Files:

12. djgeorgie

djgeorgie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wouldn't an RB67 Polaroid back work on a 2x3

13. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know, but even if it did, it'd only have an opening for 6x7. I want the maximum (3x4).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  14. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^ Thats pretty cool!
    Does the film plane match up well?

15. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, actually no, it gets set back a good 7 mm or so. Therefore, you just need to put a mark on the rails where the front standard needs to be set back when using the Frankenroid back :smile: Or get an extra set of stoppers. Cool thing is, the rangefinder works perfectly since you're not changing the lens. Just need to find that exact right spot where the front standard should be.

In order to do so I used a DIY focusing panel I made out of acrylic material I got at an arts supply store for $1.50, and a piece from an empty cartridge of a 3x4 fuji instant film.

2vl1eh5.jpg

16. rshaw

rshaw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What modifications to the Hasselblad 405 back were needed to adapt it to the Century Graphic? What lens are you using with it?

17. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry for the very late reply.

Here's what I did:

1) From the 405 back, I unscrewed one plate on the lens side of the back. Lot's of screws (like a dozen), whole plate comes off, there's a smaller plate underneath that also needs to come unscrewed, and that's it. You have a Polaroid back with a huge openening on the lens side.

2) From the pack film holder, I unhinged the "lid" part and just kept the side that attaches to the camera.

3) Take an aluminum sheet, make an opening for 3x4, attach to the pack film holder part, then drill holes to attach it to the 405 back