Polaroid Impossible project; interview with the director and other media reports

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by wrench, Mar 16, 2009.

1. wrench

wrench Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Dangit. Someone beat me to it. Oh well.

3. vdonovan

vdonovan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The have ONE YEAR of funding to develop an entirely new film? Are they CRAZY?????

4. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    it is called the "impossible project."

5. vdonovan

vdonovan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oh yeah. Good point.

6. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thats crazy. It's also interesting that the Polaroid stopped making the negative 2.5 years ago, long before the announcement.

7. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Restricted Access

I wish them the best, but at more than twice the price of the original Polaroid, no Medium Format Film being made, or LF, and Fuji still making perfectly-good Polaroid-type materials at a competitive price, this company is clearly not in touch with reality. . .

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you notice that the original SX-70 formula was from the 70s? It is going to be hard to produce that on most modern equipment I think. IDK for sure, but this surely is "the Impossible Project".

I wish them good luck.

PE

9. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The way I understand all the things I have read about "The Impossible Project" is that they are NOT going to try to exactly duplicate the original film, rather they are going to try to develop a product using current technology that will work in the Polaroid cameras. Since they have Ilford as a "partner" of sorts, they do have access to modern emulsion design and manufacturing.

10. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course, that was posted above! And, that is even harder, believe me.

Even with backup, it took us up to 5 years to get a new product off the ground.

PE

11. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tend to agree.

12. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dearly hope they succeed.

13. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I've never really been a Polaroid user ... but I wish them the best of luck :smile:

I'm wondering when their film comes to market, how expensive it will be.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It can't be much more expensive than polaroid is now. I remember the good ol' days in 2004 when it was $10 a pack! I just ordered a pack and stuck it in the fridge for a rainy day. I hope I'll never need it!

There are more polaroid cameras out there than blades of grass in my backyard. Without film there are now that many useless cameras.

Has anyone seen polaroid's new camera? It's a digital P&S with a thermal printer built in. It's not polaroid, but it sure is cool.

16. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes I have seen it. My sister made the stupid mistake of buying one! The quality sucks!!! I won't buy one. I think it is neat, but I won't buy "Polaroid" ( I can't believe they have the nerve to slap this name of TV and other shit!!!) because I want them to realize that it was a mistake to get rid of their film. I know this won't really work though.....After the company was sold, it all went down hill. There is a former Polaroid plant 10 min from my house. I have only driven by it once as it is pretty far off of the main road. They converted the equipment to making "film thin" solar panels. I think that is a beautiful idea, but I would rather see film rolling out.............

17. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh. Oh well.

18. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I remember my Father using a "snapshot" Polaroid model in the 1960's, so, if only for nostalgia, I, too, wish them luck. The problems which I see are those of R&D within a reasonable time (and a year passes very quickly!), and then the very limited market...there are always passionate enthusiasts (me included) for unusual and old processes , but the price is still a limited factor for anyone. And I can't see Joe Public digging his (or his Dad's) old polaroid out of the attic now. :sad:

19. FilmIs4Ever

Can it produce a print in 20 seconds? The whole point of Polaroid, with me, is to be friggin' fast, quick, and easy.

Sorry, keep forgetting that about 90% of people on this forum are burned-out IT guys who hate their jobs, not people that actually try to use this stuff on the professional level. . .

20. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry if I came off a little harsh. I just realled loved Polaroid. I know that I can still get Fuji, but it feels diffrent. My grandfather died of cancer when I was young and some of my fondest memories of him are when he would shoot pictures of me with his Polaroid. It is just one of those things that have been there all of my life and it is tough to see it go away.

21. FilmIs4Ever

OK, so get a Fuji Instax or Instax Mini and keep shooting. You can gripe all you want about it not "really" being Polaroid, and there is a subtle difference between the 100- color films. But, frankly, the Fuji 3000 is better. . .

As for some of the consumer crap they were making. Good riddance.

Too bad though that Fuji doesn't make some of the Spectra stuff. Poor law enforcement guys still shooting Polaroids gotta buy all new cameras.

22. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An article about this project in today's New York Times. It seems that part of their problem is that the chemistry used to be made in the USA & then shipped to Europe to be included in the packs. So they have the assembling technology & have to work out the chemistry for themselves.

23. skyrick

skyrick Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  24. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great article. I hope that they are successful!

25. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was going to post a new thread when I saw the article, and then I saw that there was already a post about it in an existing thread, so it was unnecessary.

Threads merged and both moved to the "Toy Cameras and Polaroid Cameras" forum from "Product Availability," since this looks like it's going to be an ongoing discussion.

26. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fingers crossed.