Polaroid Land Camera 100 - Battery?

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My girlfriend just acquired a Polaroid Land Camera 100. On the bottom of the camera is a sticker that says "New Battery 2-7-1972". I'll be darned if I can find a battery compartment on this camera, and the manual indicates no battery either. What gives?

Something is awry, because we purchased some film from the Impossible Project, and they all came out unexposed.
    They were all a dark turquoise green color, except for one, where we tried to pull the white tab before exposure, which gave a pretty cool abstract look, but still not at all resembling what was in front of the lens.

So we assume we have a shutter problem, and that any potential battery would be related to that problem. Or it's just a mechanical shutter problem.

Where do I start to look? I've never used a Polaroid camera before.

Thanks for any help,

- Thomas

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Finding out more...

See attachment.

Attached Files:

4. maderik

maderik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The battery compartment is on the back on the opposite side of the film door (shares the hinge.) Just pull gently on the door near the silver button. While the original battery was 4.5v, people have found that 3v is sufficient to drive the shutter. I use a CR123A lithium battery with a spring to make up the length difference. You can also find instructions on other custom battery adapters via google. You can verify proper shutter operation by dry firing while looking through the back.

5. Francis in VT

Francis in VT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Polaroid 100 camera has an automatic Electronic shutter that needs a battery. As you are holding the camera, your left hand is around the battery compartment. Pull the front of the camera back and the battery will be exposed.
    IIRC it is a 4.5 V battery Duracell PX-19. It has special snap connections at each end. I haven't priced one in ages but I'm thinking $10 or more. I have heard of AA cells being connected with a holder or soldered in series that worked fine.
    Once you have a good battery you can check the shutter without film by firing the shutter while looking through the back at different light sources and listing for a delay as the shutter opens and closes.
    Good luck with your new camera, just remember to set the film speed under the lens and then tell it where it is in the windows on top of the shutter.

Francis in VT

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a cr123a 3.0 volt is sufficient and easy to provide. the electric shutters of the the polaroids are quite robust, they would even work with a 9 volt battery without problems. I tested both for quite a while and they are both still working.

the easiest way imho is to purchase a cr123a pcb battery holder (google it). it's not even 1 dollar (+shipping of course) and fits into the battery compartment. attach the wires and that's it.

for the owners of those models with an electronic timer: you can easily fit two holders into the battery compartment.

greetings from the sunny south of france

reinhard

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Reinhard!

I am not sure I want to modify the camera since I found replacement batteries that are the same dimension and voltage as the original.

Some day, if those batteries become obsolete, I will remember what you said about robust electronics and adaptable battery arrangements.

Thanks!

- Thomas

9. pacman1213

pacman1213 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a 101 and i used a double AAA holder i had laying around. I had to remove the plastic clip that holds the battery to make some room and and cut the wires and solder them onto the AAA Holder but it works great!
    I do think AAA batteries are cheaper and easier to find which is why i opted for them.

10. maderik

maderik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The CR123A is pretty much the same diameter as the original battery. If the battery holder contacts are in good condition, you just need something (like a spring) to make up the length difference. However, most original battery holders are corroded and have degraded plastic so are usually replaced.

11. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Luckily, the original owner had the good smarts to take the battery out before they stored it away.
    The last time there was a battery in the camera was in February 1972. So the camera has been sitting still for 38 years. I could see how an old battery would have made a mess of the battery compartment if the old one was still in it. :smile:

So it's nice to be able to get exactly the same kind of battery as was in the camera originally. Just snap it in place and rock'n'roll. I'm excited.

- Thomas

12. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just made the conversion on my camera with the straight 3 pack of AAA's but then I'd have to keep it on the outside. I found a tutorial on how to use the 4 pack and remove one compartment but it seems complicated and you have to mess around with the camera a little more - however, it would fit in the compartment. My question is, would I be able to just use 4 AAA's to power the camera or would that make the images underexposed? My idea there is that too much voltage will make the meter read higher than it should and therefore underexpose the image. Anyway, any information would be great - thanks!

13. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    look at my answer earlier in this post (#7). apparently the meter works correctly with anything between 3v and 6v. I would still opt for a cr123, it lasts ages and fits into the compartment without fuzz.

14. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thomas , Find Lithium cell , thin large diameter one still fires my 350 after 16 years or more.

Umut

15. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You must cut the wires and tape to cell , I did.

16. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hmm, interesting. I'll have to give it a try. Do I need to find a holder for the battery or can the wires simply be taped onto the top and bottom of the battery? The battery pack on the outside of the camera doesn't look too bad right now but it would be nice to have just one battery and have it fit inside the compartment.

17. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Tom,

I have an Auto 100 that I converted to 3 AAA batteries. It's an easy mod but does require some modification to the camera body. If you want to see mine, let me know. If I remember, we were looking for an excuse to meet up for coffee...

18. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    here is a photo of a cr123 in a 430 battery compartment. even 2 would fit in, with a little bit filing. you only have to take out one side of the battery plastic clamp. no other modification required.

pola_430_bat.JPG