polaroid time zero print longevity?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Sean, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, I am thinking of having some fun with a polaroid sx-70 and time zero film (for manipulations). I am curious what the lifespan of the prints are, say hinge mounted on archival board and framed in UV glass. I am not sure if we are talking 1-5-10-20 years or more?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I can't imagine it's that great. If I were doing these, I would dupe the keepers on 4x5" transparency film for storage and possibly enlargement.

3. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    that is a great suggestion david, i went the other way (SHHHHHHHHHHHH) to make enlargements.

4. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sean,
    be careful as the lastest edition of this film is not manipulating very well, Polaroid is aware of the problem and are working on resolving the problem.

5. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some time zero prints that have been kept in the dark - a filing cabinet - that are 15-years old. They seem fine. I have another couple of SX-70 shots that are more than 20-years old (not sure if that was time zero or the older SX-70 film) that have been hanging in normal room light (no direct sun) under plexiglas - they look fine to me.

I have other prints that are about 10-years old that have begun to yellow in the white areas. I know that the film was nearing expiration at the time I made the exposures. I think that's the reason for the discoloration. 10-years ago, I could still buy the film at Walmart and Kmart, but the stuff sat on the shelf for a long time.

I'd be sure to get fresh film, but as Ann says, the newest batch seems bad for manipulations.

6. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Psssst, Ann...Alex...we have another potential convert!!!

:smile:

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The dyes used in Polaroid prints are similar in nature to those used in Ilfochrome prints. The difference is that the rest of the chemicals are also present which may contribute to the longevity of the picture in an integral format.

So, I would guess that peel apart prints would last longer than integral prints, but that is just a guess. My boxes of both types of prints that have been around for nearly 20 years look just fine.

PE

8. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wow, had no idea there were issues with the new stuff that's great to know. Any idea what epiration date I should look for?

A potential convert yes :smile: I've actually thought about putting together many manipulations of downtown auckland then selling them to tourists. I've never seen a sx-70 manipulation in NZ, so it would be a unique trinket to sell..

9. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What I read over the past week suggests Time-Zero with expirations through March 2006, at least, is okay, but newer film may not be.

10. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Go for it Sean! I've had the same thing on my mind though about longevity. I'm not so worried about the original print as I am about reproductions. I've printed a couple of mine on watercolor paper using our Canon inkjet printer. But now I read that the Canon ink only lasts about 3-5 years.

I'm somewhat skeptical of any of these longitivity reports. I was thinking about just spraying the repros with Krylon clear matt finish. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

11. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

12. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  13. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    the date on the packets i had with the issues was/is 11/05; which is much earlier than someone stated in an earlier comment

14. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That was me, Ann. It looks like we'll have to go by the date and batch number. I have been shooting the 12/05 and 02/06 dated film with no problems. I don't have the batch number for 02/06 film, but the 12/05 film is batch 110448680.

S

15. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    November?? Don't tell me that, I just bought a case and half of 12/2005 time zero film today. Now I just need to get the darn camera.

BTW do you store this film in the fridge, or just a cool place?

16. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    the fridge is fine aggie, but not the freezer.

17. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also best to orient the cases so the film is either flat or on end, not on the long side; storage on edge can result in settling of the chemicals in the pod, which in turn can cause incomplete spreading when the print is ejected. Well, okay, maybe you'll like the effect -- but when I pay $1.50 for a single frame, I want to be sure I get to see all of it...