Porthole effect

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by fparnold, Sep 21, 2004.

1. fparnold

fparnold Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

Wandering about last weekend I ran into a photographer from Cleveland shooting with an 8x10 P&S (no focus), and using a 90mm Angulon. He enthusiastically admitted that he was getting circular images with the Angulon, and I began wondering how many of you have gone the opposite direction in lens coverage; deliberately picking one that would not cover the film, and making use of the light falloff, fuzzy edges, etc, as compositional elements.

Thoughts, comments, deafening silence?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sam Wang at Clemson University did (still does?) that type of work. Emmitt Gowin also did the circular image thing.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So did Caravaggio

[​IMG]

and Michelangelo

[​IMG]

5. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i thought about getting a hobo and went so far as to gather up a wide variety of equipment ; i.e. trays, tanks, hangers, etc. and then have backed off before getting the camera and a lens. Only because i have so many other projects on the drawing board that are behind schedule.

however, on the other end , i took a holga and tweaked it for 35 mm film so the image covrers rebate and all. it is fun, but don't use it as much lately.

6. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    http://www.kerik.com/ Kerik Kouklis visits these boards and his amazing work also includes some circular images on 8x10 film. I love visiting his website and going through the images..

7. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I like Kerik's work too. I've thought about trying this very thing, but haven't done it yet. What is a good amount of coverage to start with when trying this? My widest lens is a 90 mm f/4.5 Nikkor, would this lens give too little coverage?