Portra 160 shortage?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by rolleiman, Apr 24, 2013.

1. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Had some 35mm Portra 160 on order now for nearly three weeks, still no stock here in the UK apparently. Is this an ongoing problem? Have Kodak limited production of this film? There is obviously a strong demand so if they have, then why?

2. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked the web sites of three big US sellers, B&H, Adorama and Freestyle. B&H lists it as temporarily out of stock. Freestyle has it, both regular and also some short dated specials, only in 5 roll pro packs but I'm not sure they've ever sold it otherwise. Adorama doesn't show it out of stock but I'm not sure their web site reflects inventory.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  4. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info, I'll call them in the morning.

5. Lamar

Lamar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just received my order of 35mm Portra 160 and 400 from B&H yesterday. I ordered it Friday evening. Just 5 rolls each though. I would hope that didn't deplete them completely..... :smile:

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a very good time to stock up your freezer with Kodak's, Fuji's, and film in general's future so uncertain.

7. Simonh82

Simonh82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was it from AG photographic by any chance? I waited 3 months for Tmax 400 to never arrive before cancelling my order with them. They still haven't refunded me my money over 3 weeks later.

I always really rated them and defended them on this forum when others reported similar problems but I won't be ordering from them again.

8. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, it is a worry. Perhaps it is the movie film industry thats keeping things going, I gather film is still the preferred format for Hollywood, but for how long? Trannie film will probably be the first to go, already Fuji's range is getting very expensive. Agfa Precisa is saving the day somewhat.
    What will go first? Spares for film cameras, or film itself?....Thankfully Leicas, Rolleis, and the better Nikons seem to go on forever....hopefully Tri-X, HP5, Precisa etc. will do so too

9. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Yes it was ordered from AG.

10. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Considering that Fuji stopped producing motion picture film but keeps on producing transparencies I wouldn't announce the death of anything yet. There are still people buying E-6 film, Fuji wouldn't really produce it if there wasn't market for it.

11. lhalcong

lhalcong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just spoke to B&H and they told me there is no indication of any discontinuance of this film in their system or any publictions pointing this out from Kodak, so he said not to worry. but they dont have an estimated time of arrival anyway...

12. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have 3,000 ft of Portra 160NC so I'm good to go! It's unperforated, but my converted Nikkormat handles it well.

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't believe anybody any more because how many times have film manufacturers sworn on a stack of bibles recently that they had no plans to discontinue a particular film, and before you know it it's gone ?, which is why I have enough of the films I like for about the next ten years shooting in my basement film freezer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're a wise man, Ben.

16. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm with you, Ben.

17. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's no shortage of Kodak Portra in the U.K, there's more than you can shake a stick at from internet retailers, but many bricks and mortar shops don't want to stock film because of the uncertain demand for a perishable product with a dated shelf life that they will have to sell off cheap once it becomes outdated.

18. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh well, that's entirely different then. I've heard there's one store in the Atlanta area that stocks film and even some darkroom stuff, but I was unable to find it. I don't know WHERE I'd go to buy film without ordering it, other than some consumer Fuji C41 in 35mm. I order everything. I pretty much assume everyone else does now too.

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Roger... with the exception of the occasional run over to Freestyle.

20. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I totally agree. A few months ago there was a question as to whether Fuji Reala 120 was actually discontinued - most saying "no". Guess what? It's gone now. You can't even find it on Adorama's web site, and it's listed as discontinued on B&H's.

PS Kodak Portra 160 in 35mm: Adorama has about 40 packs of the 5 roll packs left after I relieved them of 16 packs a few hours ago. B&H is out of stock.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2013
  21. Dave R.

Dave R. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  22. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's no shortages of Kodak Portra, but what's clear is you can no longer expect to go to a local photographic shop and buy professional films, neither Kodak nor Fuji, in fact films in general seem to be a problem, if you ask the staff for Velvia all you get is blank looks, they don't know what it is.

23. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I've had multiple staffers at multiple stores in the San Diego area be surprisingly knowledgeable and friendly towards film up to 4x5 with literally zero experience like you've mentioned here.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom just yet.

24. eriklovold

eriklovold Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I ordered 25 rolls of Portra 400 in 120 from AG Photographic 5 weeks ago. Still not here. Absolutely ridicolous.

25. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what I read it seems to be better on the west coast.

Just asking for film here gets you looks you've lost your mind or came in looking for a buggy whip. I doubt many of them know what 120 is and none sheet film. Granted, I'm not going to the right stores - but I hit every "camera store" I could find within about 10 miles.

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I live in large industrial city Roger with a population of more than half a million there is now only one photographic store left besides the shops that just have mini labs, fortunately the last remaining shop is a very good one and a professional dealers run by a father and his two sons who have been in business for more than thirty years and know their unions they are all very nice guys, I just hope they stay open.