Portra 160VC in 120 gone?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by lifein2x3, Aug 5, 2007.

1. lifein2x3

lifein2x3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a note at work the other day from the guy who does our ordering saying Kodak had discontinued Portra 160VC in 120 and Elite Chrome 200 135-36. Can anybody verify this? I haven't seen it in writing anywhere else.

2. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I coulda sworn I saw it in 120 back in Japan a week or two ago. If it's still in Japan it's got to be available here in the US still, right?

My $0.02

3. lifein2x3

lifein2x3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still have some on the shelf; I was just told we wouldn't be getting more once our stock was gone.

We just got the note earlier this week, I think either Tuesday or Thursday.

4. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No mention on the web site about either of these films being discontinued.

5. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May I suggest you verify with your Kodak contact, in fact? If you're two steps away from a Kodak employee, why not go to the source?

6. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak just upgraded the film and are saying it now replaces UC. I think you are being fed bs. It may be a sad attempt to deflect criticism form customers wondering why you no longer carry the film by pushing the lack of stock up stream to kodak.

7. lifein2x3

lifein2x3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    JD: I think it could be one of several things: the company doesn't want to carry film anymore, so they're telling us this or the supplier we get Kodak from doesn't carry the film, even though Kodak is still making it.

Given that we never heard a peep when Kodachrome 200 was dropped, I'm a bit skeptical. I just wanted to see if this had been said anywhere else before I asked about it at work.

Michel: I plan on doing that on Tuesday, when I go back in. However, we're one store of a chain, and we don't have any direct contact with the supplier, so I have no way of independenty verifying what our main office is telling me. Either way, the company for which I work will no longer be carrying 160 VC 120, whether it's been discontinued or not. I just want to know the truth.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  8. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom, what JD said. Kodak both upgraded the portra line and slashed the UC in 120, so it's possible that there's been some confusion.

Kodak has a customer support line if you dig in their website. Sadly, there are no Kodak rep who post on APUG, the way there is an Ilford rep (Simon Galley) who does.

9. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have given up trying to buy 120 film locally. The stores do not want to carry it, due to volume not being high enough. If thay have what I want, it's outdated, (not enough discount for the date to interest me) or they have only a few rolls. One local store did have a pretty good supply of Portra 160, but the price was almost double Calumet's. Too high for local support.

Bob

10. lifein2x3

lifein2x3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mhv: You could be right, but we got the notice about UC being discontinued back in October (I actually bought our last couple of propacks). I'm starting to think it's either a mistake or they're just going to start phasing out films. Thing is, we sell a lot fo 160VC compared to some of the Fuji films. So I'm pretty confused.

Lopaka: I hear you. We've stopped carrying 4x5 at my store (some of our other stores do, one is about two miles away) and our manager is trying to phase out 220, but we still keep getting it in Portra and Velvia varieties.

11. nicolai

nicolai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As 160VC, 160NC, 400VC, and 400NC were just upgraded (remember that free sample promotion last fall?), I really, really doubt that it's gone. (Then again, Who Knows These Days?)

I frequently hear "discontinued" from retailers who simply decided to stop carrying something, though.

12. lifein2x3

lifein2x3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly my thinking. I just don't want to be a party to deliberate misinformation. If we're just not carrying it anymore, that's one thing, but telling customers it's been discontinued when it hasn't is wrong.

13. nicolai

nicolai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sincerely, thank you. Seems like nobody bothers anymore!

14. lifein2x3

lifein2x3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We do try. I mentioned it to my manager today at work, and she, like me, wanted to verify it, so she had our ordering guy double-check. He said it's definitely on Kodak's end.

I still want to see something from Kodak, though, before I start telling people it's been discontinued. For now, we're having "supply problems." :-\

15. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak deny this rumour. Even without a word from Kodak, it is very unlikely to have been true.

Listen folks, Kodak's customer support is second-to-none. In the USA you call a free number (800-242-2424 ext 19) and speak to a real live knowledgable person without having to wait in a queue. You don't need to get answers from the internet.

However.
    How about we approach Kodak with a suggestion that an APUG member acts as a liaison person so that queries like this can be answered with some degree of authority? I would be happy to volunteer.

Best,
    Helen

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  16. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it would help things. Go for it and let us know how it goes. :smile:

Thanks!

17. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is probably a little late for this thread, but out of curiousity, I called the 800 number and asked about the various Portras, in all formats.

- all are available: 160 NC and VC, 400 NC and VC

4x5
    - all except 400 VC

5x7
    - sigh

8x10
    - all except 400 VC

18. A.C.

A.C. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Helen
    Yes, well volunteered: Let us know how things go with your attempts! - having someone prepared to speak of Kodak's view (if not strictly for the company) would be unique.

19. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The above, while useful, does not entirely answer the question.

The reps at the 800 number can only confirm whether or not a particular film in any particular format is available for retail order.

They cannot tell you whether or not new stock of that film and format is still being produced. In other words, they will not tell if a film has been discontinued while film stock remains available for retail order.