Portra 400 VC in 4x5?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mikeklensch, Oct 18, 2007.

1. mikeklensch

mikeklensch Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Greetings all,

Does any know if Kodak makes Portra VC 400 in 4x5 sheets? So far, I've only been able to find the NC version. And while I'm asking, what other fast color film options are available to me in 4x5?

Many thanks,
    Mike

2. obelix

obelix Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personally i find it peculiar to use faster film than 160 ASA because the advantage of large format is fading by these higher sensitiv films.

Or am I wrong

3. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Higher speed film means faster shutter speeds, thus somewhat compensating for the greater chance of wind-induced camera shake during exposure with large format cameras outside. Wind is a considerable obstacle to getting sharp negatives with large-format equipment outside.

4. HeinrichVoelkel

HeinrichVoelkel Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    @ obelix: I guess you are wrong, because their a ton of B/W 400 iso films. Actually it is quite useful to have 400 in large format, because sharpness and detail are still better with the large negative you get, compared to 400 iso film in medium format or 24x36.

@ mike: no, there is only 400 NC available in 4x5....., no other film. Sadly.

5. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a lot of 400VC in 4x5 sheets. The grain and resolution is a nonissue for me in 4x5 with reasonable print sizes, and it allows me to stop down a bit more or shoot in darker conditions.

I haven't used 400NC in 4x5, but it would certainly be useful -- getting people perfectly still is hard at 1/30 shutter speeds.

6. mikeklensch

mikeklensch Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So DrPablo... where are you getting your 400 VC film from?

As far as film speed in general... I do lots of relatively short exposure (< 30 sec.) photography of the night sky, and I need the extra speed to better record stars. It sure would be nice to have the Fuji 400X chrome film available as sheets, but that's just not an option. So I'm looking for all other possibilities.

Thanks again,
    Mike

7. HeinrichVoelkel

HeinrichVoelkel Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    where do you buy 400VC in 4x5

8. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was from Zeff Photo in Boston about 18 months ago or so. Haven't looked since then.

9. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know NC is the 400 c-41 film in 4x5 or 8x10.

It's the only 4x5 film I use when shooting people.

What drives me crazy is that it only comes in 10 sheet boxes. I've never been able to figure that one out.

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe Dr. Pablo bought the old version. I think I've seen the old 400VC as a special order in 20x24" (coulda been NC, but I'm pretty sure it was VC).

11. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  12. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know which version it was. Zeff doesn't have nearly the LF traffic in Boston as Calumet and EP Levine, so there were always some old films there. I've bought a bunch of Tech Pan in 120 from them as well, and that's not listed on their site either.

13. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The other reason to use higher ISO films in 4x5 is for greater depth of field at faster shutter speeds, if necessary.