Portra 400

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Halford, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Halford

Halford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

It seems previous threads about the new Portra 400 got somewhat derailed.

I have recently shot my first 120 roll of it, and my first impression is that I am absolutely amazed at the tonal range it captures. I shot a very, very high contrast scene in which I would have expected either washed-out highlights or a total lack of detail in shadows, yet there was plenty of detail in both.

I haven't printed optically from these neg yet (I'm only just getting set up to my first ever RA4 printing this week) but I can't wait to try.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what else I can do with it, but so far the new emulsion has certainly exceeded my expectations.

I look forward to hearing others' experiences of the actual use of this film (rather, really than the politics around it. I have plenty of opinions there but those are perhaps for another discussion), as well as of the new 160, which I have yet to get my hands on.

Any thoughts?

2. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've used it a little, no printing though. I think quality for ISO 400 or 800 (which it easily handles) is astounding. Colours are very nice, and it scans very easily. Probably the best all round film around at the moment, and the best new release for a long time.

3. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've shot some rolls in 120 and printed them. It has nice colours, I used it to shoot some elderly relatives and it did a very good job of toning down the ruddy complexions and various blemishes people over 90 have. It prints on a different filter pack to both VC and NC, but it was very easy to balance. I'm keen now to try it in 35mm.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only shot 2 rolls of the new 120 Portra 400 of my nieces four year old son, I had a couple of the negs.blown up by my local pro lab to 20"X16" and I'm very impressed the quality and grain structure you can get with this 400 I.S.O.film even at exhibition print size was unheard off a few years ago, and it still has the Portra colour palate and skin tone reproduction we all love.

5. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's my primary medium format color film now. It scans very nicely with just a minimal grain. However, the best thing about this film is when you print it optically. I have 16x20 print of a night shot that has just beautiful aquamarine tones which disappear when you try to scan it. Everybody comments on it when they see it in my office. You owe it to yourself to print it optically - you'll be pleasantly surprised. Great film. End of story.

6. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What kind of paper are you using for optical printing?

7. Halford

Halford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I may just discover its optical printing properties tonight. I tried to get a scanned image printed at my nearby pro lab in time for a competition tomorrow evening - but first my scan files were too big, then their Frontier machine was down. So much for the speed and efficiency of digital processes!

Well, I've got to make the leap into RA4 some time. Will report the results here!

8. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji CA type C and Type PD, Supra III, Supra Endura. They all look very good with portra.

9. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do all of mine in the hybrid workflow, but anyway. I love this film. It is my do everything color film. I have shot it from 200 and 3200 with no problems. The 3200 was pushed one stop. I have 2 rolls that I shot a 6400 and plan on pushing 2 shops in processing. I have no dought it will come out great. I also will shoot some at 100 soon just to see what it looks like for me. I can shoot inside under horrible lighting and outside with amazing lighting. It all looks great.

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad you can't get any of these in new batches anymore. :sad: (Maybe Endura in rolls, if you want to cut down massive rolls in the dark.)

11. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :sad:

12. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, Supra Endura is discontinued in all forms and replaced by a digital version. Some people say it's perfectly usable and some it's completely unusable. In any case, Fuji Crystal Archive is available both in rolls and in cut sheets, and AFAIK this is the plain old version that works in optical printing perfectly.

For example, see http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fuji-crystal-archive-sheet-sizes-331-c.asp

Just buy it if it's available in your region and start printing.

13. Franswa

Franswa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm loving the new film as well...have probably shot close to 30 rolls in both 135 and 120, and even had a dozen rolls of 120 shot for my wedding.....awesome results!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in the US. As far as I've seen, the non type-II CA is no longer available.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd be interested in seeing the results! I just ordered two pro pack of 35mm and 220 to play with and have a few rolls of 120 in the fridge.

18. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This thread is worthless without pictures! My girlfriend....erm....roommate just got done shooting off 4 rolls for a quick and dirty photo-shoot in Durango and I'll be doing some scanning for a website. I'll be sure to post something in heres.

20. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a nice film. Maybe it will still be around for me to buy after I work through my stash of 400VC and 400NC.

21. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is still Fuji Crystal Archive, Endura, Ektacolor around if you don't mind outdated paper and cutting down.

I've been enjoying the slower 160 and 100 color films lately but I must try some Portra 400 after all this praise.

22. Franswa

Franswa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]

23. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    here is one at 200

[​IMG]

24. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    [​IMG]

portra 400 at 320 with a mamiya 7.

25. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since he did not reply personally, I would like to advertise the image athiril posted in the experimental gallery: Portra 400 @ ISO 25600. This film is truly impressive and made me buy 10 rolls of color negative film and a developer kit again after years of E6 and B/W.

26. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For those of you who shoot Portra 400 at 320, 200, etc., how do you change the processing times with the C41 chemicals? Lovely pics BTW.