Portra processing uk

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by coigach, Aug 3, 2009.

1. coigach

coigach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I've a few rolls of Portra I'm looking to get processed. I'm looking for a UK lab that will process and print 6x4's in the first instance but I want the prints to have the soft natural Portra colours, not the standard Velvia-on-steroids look that most machine prints seem to have...!

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks for your help,
    Gavin

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've seen Peak Imaging mentioned, but I've not used them as I do my own processing.

www.peak-imaging.co.uk

Tom

3. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Peak Imaging for Portra NC in 6x6 and 4x5. The print colours are not as subtle as if I print the negs myself (these days by scanning on a flatbed, in a previous life on Kodak's RA4 papers), but properly-exposed normal scenes look good.

Problems (more like annoyances) are a persistent tendency to block up saturated reds, a default contrast setting that is a tad too aggressive, and overall exposures that can make a nonsense of high-key or low-key photos - this last a persistent problem with any non-custom prints.

4. Simon E

Simon E Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you can find someone who uses Kodak paper you might be better off. Until he screwed up once again, I found a local minilab operator in town gave the best (i.e. pastel, well corrected) prints I had found. The most recent ones were on Kodak Royal paper.

However, don't discount Jessops completely. The branch around the corner from my ex-mate do a much better job than they used to, and they even cut my XP2 negs into 6s last time!

A friend of mine recently praising the reborn Colab, though I haven't used them for a long time now (was happy with them when I did). I've just had a look (www.onevisionimaging.com) and though I had to download a PDF to find out, their 36 d&p price for 6x4" prints is £10.45, 7.5x5" £14.53. However, I don't like putting important films in the post and RM is less reliable than it used to be.

5. Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find "Moorland Imaging" do a nice job of prints from Portra. I have to say it isn't a film I use all that often though.

6. coigach

coigach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for help everyone.

Cheers,
    Gavin

7. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format