Portraits On Kodak Vericolor & PMC Films

Discussion in 'Portraiture' started by wsboyette, Jul 22, 2014.

1. wsboyette

wsboyette Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone here think that there is or will ever be an equal to the Kodak Vericolor and PMC films for portraiture ? I have yet to find anything as nice.

A bride on Kodak PMC (Pro MC) 400:
    [​IMG]

A candid on Kodak Vericolor (VPS) 160:
    [​IMG]

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to use tons of Vericolour both S and L and PMC when it was made, but since these films are no longer manufactured I think it is no great loss because the current Kodak Portra 160 and 400 are even better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
  3. wsboyette

wsboyette Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh ? I've tried Portra, with very pleasing results (see photo below) - but it seemed like maybe the grain structure isn't quite like the older MC films or something (perhaps it's a finer T-grain ?). I dunno - maybe it's just a figment of my imagination. But if Kodak replaced the VPS and PMC with it, they must have seen some improvement.

[​IMG]

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm just thankful that they are still manufacturing these two great portrait films,quit while you're ahead.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

5. ColColt

ColColt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah it was pretty nice. I burned through a few billions rolls of that stuff too.

7. ColColt

ColColt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hated to see that film go. Even more so, I hated to see CPQ stop making prints and go to digital only. They were a large professional outfit in Cleveland, TN that catered to the professional and were the best I had seen. Being a card carrying member of the PPA, I inquired around as to who to use for my lab and they were highly recommended. I didn't regret using them as they were superb. I got 4x5 proofs from them along with my developed negatives and had 5x7 to 16x20 prints made from VPS and they looked great. Those two photos above were some of the 16x20's made.

8. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The largest I did was a few 40x60, but mainly my largest were 30x40 which I did a hundred or so.

I rarely shot the 400, and stuck with the 100 at 80.