Possible Publication

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by MikeK, Jun 24, 2006.

1. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This morning I received an email from Canongate Books who are publishing a book entitled "The London Book of Lists"; and have a section called famous London Foods. The author of the book has asked to use on of my images for this section.

They are asking for a 6x8cm hi-res digital image for publication; and promising full acknowledgement and a possibility of a small fee.

Any Apug'er know this company? Any advice on how to proceed. By the way the published is based in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I certainly can't answer your question, but I would like to compliment the images on your site. Really nice work! ...and lots of interesting information as well.

3. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out their website.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

4. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They approached me several years ago to make some prints of Andy Warhol from negatives made by an American photographer who had apparently hung out with Warhol in the 60's. Cannongate were to be publishing a book about Warhol. I spent some time putting together the information they wanted, returned it to them and never heard another word from them.

I would certainly ask to be paid the proper fee for the reproduction of my work, the promise of possibly receiving a small fee and a full credit is meaningless.

5. mgphoto

mgphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mike,

Please don't give your work away. Insist on a reasonable fee for usage of your image, and make sure you will still retain copyright ownership. Publishers will often approach photographers who they consider to be part-timers or hobbyists with the lure of "photo credit" so they don't have to fuss with us working Pros and our need to make a living and control usage of our images. Please show them that you cannot be bought by a meaningless mention of your name in 6 point type.

Book usage example according to Fotoquote Pro: 1/4 page, 20k to 40k press run. Usage fee should be between $191.00 and $393.00 US. Higher press run and or page spaceĀ—price goes up.

Thanks,
    Mark

6. perfect

perfect Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I for one , would certainly want a little more than a promise , before i even considered letting them have a image ?

I would want to know exactly what was being offered for my image & if any more publications of the image were planned other than for the book they mention ?

Tred carefully before relinquishing any photo rights ?

simon

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi mike -

that is great news :smile:

a few tips:

write up a specific usage for the photo(s) wanted and make sure they understand the intended usage;

make sure your work is copyrighted (send to washington dc and get them registered! just making the exposure isn't good enough if you have to take them to court for copyright violation <no matter what you have heard>) ;

get paid in full up front.

there are a lot of people that pray on photographers.

good luck!
    john

8. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Mike,
    I've dealt with Canongate quite a bit and always found them to be very fair!
    Best,
    Rory