Postcard Exchange Round 40 Comments & Feedback

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by George Nova Scotia, Feb 1, 2017.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking forward to your postcards Darwin .
    Although I must say that when it comes to insomnia, spotting falls only behind scanning when it comes to cures!

2. LAG

LAG Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today (20/03) arrived the second postcard to my postbox: mike c "The Spanish baroque terracota arch". Thank you Mike.

First of all I must say that I personally know my postman, and I have asked her to do me the favor of leaving all the postcards always face down in my box, so I can see first who the postcard is from. IDK why but when I saw mike c my memory went to his Rolleicord 39's Clifton's ...

Thanks again for sharing some history behind the subject. It seems like you're comfortable working with TMY2, this card is a good example of it. That part of the building is a beautiful necklace of textures and shades, I like the light on the windows very much as well. Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, if you turn it upside down, the curve of the building gives a 3D look to the image, and the guidelines fill the scene the other way around ...

3. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks LAG, I never could figure a name for the card so I just gave the description from Wikipedia, makes for a long name.

4. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Alone in Death Valley" (DRPSILVER) came with "Knee" (Matt King), from Desert to Forest both are very nice and printed well. Thanks Guys

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mike. Glad it got there.
    Coincidentally, Mike's excellent card showing detail from Los Angeles' Broadway Arcade Building arrived here.
    Really nice form and detail, as well as and tonality that is strangely (given the subject) almost delicate.
    My wife likes it too :smile:.

6. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yesterday and today I got 3 - all great. Matt King's Knee, DRPSILVER's Alone in Death Valley, and Ian Andvaag's sand dune. Excellent printing on all. Thanks for sharing! It's so cool to get real photos in the mail. :smile:

7. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I have now received my second print, with the latest being from DRPSILVER = 'Alone in Death Valley'. Like the first postcard received and the ones that I sent out, it too is printed on the Ilford postcard paper. Dunno how to put it, but there's something about using and receiving prints made with this paper, compared to 'ordinary' paper with nothing on the reverse. It just feels more personal somehow and they look more 'postcardie' if such a word exists, (which it doesn't according to the sites spellchecker).

As for the print, lovely! Good range of tones and an interesting composition. Thanks guys, keep them coming! :smile:

Terry S

8. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two cards received the past few days:
    iandvaag's Claybank, great subject, like the inclusion of a person to give it a sense of scale. Also adds some mystery to the scene. Could be a still from some 80's video clip. Nice!
    MattKing's Knee, eerie. Not only a great subject, but also beautiful how the light falls on it. I like it a lot.

9. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow. More cards arrive!
    I had already mentioned the glossy manhole cover from Oxlyroad and the Broadway Arch in LA from Mike C, both very nice.
    This time it's "Alone in Death Valley" by drpsilver; very nice. Also "Knee" by Matt King which is very interesting and beautiful. I also got "Antelope Island" by randalcav; a very interesting scene with Bison rather than Antelope. The tones in the clouds and mountains vs the bison are really well done. Nicely done.

I'm continually impressed at the artistry of a simple post card, all of them unique but beautiful. It really shows that it's not the gear, it's the person's artistry. Many of the cameras used are common non-pro cameras but the results are special.

10. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got "Antelope Island" in yesterday's mail - great scene!

11. Randalcav

Randalcav Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi all,

I received 5 cards this week.

Ian Anvaag's card of the dune. I love the dark figure in the upper part of the card. It adds an element of mystery and has great visual impact.
    Mike c's Broadway Arcade building is excellent. Well printed and it really holds my eye. You made a 50mm lens look wide angle. Nicely done,
    Drpsilver's Alone in Death Valley is very well done. I love the composition, tones and how the plant competes with the clouds. Love the tone of the sky.
    Matt King's Knee is nice and glossy, technically perfect and the subject is something most of us would have walked right past. His eye in the field and in the darkroom are spot on.
    Oxleyroad's Manhole Cover is very appealing. Just like Mike c's ability to capture the art in how things used to be manufactured, like buildings and even manhole covers should remind us of why we do things by hand in the darkroom. The craft of taking something that is common and putting more of ones self into its creation is evident. Great Print.

Thanks to everyone. A great group of cards so far in this round!

12. drpsilver

drpsilver Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    26 Mar 2017

Three cards arrived this week. The card from iandvaag invokes many questions: What is the person thinking about or observing?, Why is he in such a desolate place?, .... I like how you managed the high-key tones. "Knee" from MattKing is an interesting contrast to the above photo because it is filled with low-key tones. You captured the detail and special lighting very well. The soft background gives this image some depth. Nicely done. Finally, a card from Randalcav of "Antelope Island" sans antelope. You did a good job balancing composition with the constrains of the film format.

Thank you for your kind words about the card I sent. I am glad you like the image I chose.

Regards,
    Darwin