Postcard Exchange : Round 8 Sign Up

Discussion in 'Postcard Exchange' started by Nige, Sep 6, 2006.

Which option do you prefer?

1. End the Postcard Exchange

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Continue as is

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Smaller discrete Groups

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Nige's fangdangled matching theory

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The schedule was

Round 8
    August : Sign on
    September : Print and Post
    October : R&R

But... we had many cards un-delivered (still got a few to creep in) and I decided to leave it another month before starting Rnd 8. That month and a bit more has passed with a few enquiries about Rnd 8 coming in, so it's time to do something!

In a previous discussion, we contemplated limiting the number of cards that needed to be sent in some way. A common response was 'I'd like to be in all groups' which won't actually work with the number of participants we have as I think a good proportion will want to do that. I figure we can go 4 ways...

1. Stop the Postcard Exchange
    2. Stick with "In for one, in for All" (Current)
    3. Break into 'managable' sized groups (no jumping in multiple groups... too hard to manage)
    4. Trial my Postcard Matching program I wrote.

The 'Postcard Matching' program will allow people to nominate how many cards they'd like to send, and it creates matches up to those maximums. People who opt in for the maximum get allocated as many times as possible, but most likely won't be the maximum. It works like this...

a) When you sign up you nominate how many cards you wish to send. A special category of 'The Max' is for those who don't really want/have a limit.

b) I run my wizz-bang program and I email you the list of people you are matched with. Those people will have you in their list, so you are doing are 'exchange', not just sending them one.

c) you send each person on your list a card.

An example will probably explain it better...

Participants List
    Name (Maximum Cards where M means 'The Max')
    Agnes (2)
    Art (M)
    Dave (4)
    David (M)
    Gary (M)
    Nigel (3)
    Peter (M)

Matches
    Participant Buddy
    Agnes Gary
    Agnes Peter
    Art David
    Art Gary
    Art Nigel
    Art Peter
    Dave David
    Dave Peter
    David Art
    David Dave
    David Gary
    David Nigel
    David Peter
    Gary Agnes
    Gary Art
    Gary David
    Gary Peter
    Nigel Art
    Nigel David
    Nigel Peter
    Peter Agnes
    Peter Art
    Peter Dave
    Peter David
    Peter Gary
    Peter Nigel

So, in this scenario, those that nominated a maximum number get that, and the others get a variable amount of matches to fill out all the posibilities... eg. Art gets 4 matches out of a possible 6, David (5/7) and Peter (6/7)

So, since we're a week behind our month behind schedule, I'm going to ask for your opinions for a week... then the method choosen will be declared and you'll get the chance to 'sign up' over the remaining two weeks of this month.

Let the discussions begin! :smile:

2. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might want to start a poll to make counting easier (ask Marco if you don't know how ! :wink: )...

I have a preference for (2) = current method, but would not be too distraught if (4) won the vote.

Cheers, Bob.

3. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    poll added...

please only vote if your already a participant or are extremely likely to join in...

4. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've already printed 50 postcards in anticipation of the next round. These were done a month ago, I've already got a neg ready for the next round past that.

The way we are going we'll be able to get the Christmas cheap rate, from Australia Post.

I'm with Bob, I prefer the current situation, but would live with your number four scenario.

Mick.

5. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holy game theory algorithims batman! I'll go with 2, but I think 4 is sexier!

Regards, Art.

6. rst

rst Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I definitely opt for Niges little programme. This will allow for more people to participate into the postcard exchange, even if they are not able to spend the money to send e.g. 100 postcards.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

7. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm willing to try Nige's new fangled program so that means I'm for number 4.

8. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keeping it the way it is works with me. Makes it easier for Nige.

D.

9. Anupam Basu

Anupam Basu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    #4 is the most flexible

I am not signed up for the exchange but would gladly participate if I could choose how many cards I want to send/receive. The reason I did not sign up earlier was that 50 cards represents a significant investment of not only time but also money. So I voted for the fourth option.

-A

10. Brian Jeffery

Brian Jeffery Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would really love to join the postcard exchange, but as I've not done this before I'm not sure how many postcards I'll be able to produce. With this in mind option 4 looks good to me. Would you be to change your number in the next round. That is reduce the number of postcards if it was too much or up the number if everything went well?

Brian

11. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yep, each round when you sign up you'd nominate how many cards you wanted to swap. Based on previous feedback, I can see the majority opting in for the maximum, but actually getting a few less due to the few that want to do a limited number. I've run this with our full list of 50 odd people nominating a few with limits, and the 'Max' ones all came out in the mid to high 40's.

12. MattKing

MattKing Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I am limited to printing using tubes, 50 postcards would be brutal :rolleyes: .

The opportunity to limit my involvement to something like 16 or 24 would make it workable for me.

Matt

13. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would vote for 25 postcards to be my limit.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would prefer the current option to continue. Yes, it does represent a small investment in time and money to produce say 50 cards, but I have had great fun in receiving the cards for round 7. I may however need to sit Round 8 out as I'll probably be moving house in October and sending to the right address might get confusing.

YMMV

Tom.

16. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just make sure that Nige has your correct address when he sends us the list. Should be no worries with the mailings then.

17. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Nige
    I would like to have about 50 cards or opt for your #4 option.

Greg

18. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nige,

I say we cut our losses and move on. There hasn't been a postcard from the last round in several weeks, I am not expecting anymore. I predicted a 10%-20% deadbeat rate and have resigned myself to that fact in all the exchanges. It's just part of human nature in general.

Let's get the next round going and cull the ones that haven't sent out postcards from the last rounds. Catering to the "slow and weak", who are in the minority, is bad for all. Just a suggestion.

Regards, Art.

19. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree.

20. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Art, This is the only time I haven't gotten my postcards out on time. In fact I'm going to No. Utah this Friday and will be printing a few rounds. That should cover this one coming up, and the last one. Thanks for calling me a deadbeat. Many from the beginning of the postcard exchange know I was the one who kept sending them out no matter what, and still hold the record for the most cards ever sent.

21. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, disscussion time is up and since it's a close run Poll with some swinging votes, I'm going to give Option 4 a try so that a few people who've not participated due to the volume previously, can.

So, please send me (email nigel@apug.org ) your desire to participate and how many cards you'd like to swap. If you want the maximum, indicate 'Max'. If I've already got your postal details, no needto re-send unless theye've changed.

New peoples,

I need
    - APUG Name
    - Real Name and Postal Address
    - working email
    - Number of cards to swap (Max means as many as matched with)

My u-beut database will email the matches to you so I must have that aspect right. I'll do a test msg 1st just to make sure.

Two weeks to reply and be included. I'll email those who've already joined Rnd8 to get their swap numbers, and keep and updated list in this thread to show I've recorded your interest.

Cheers, Nige

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2006
  22. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nige, I tried to email you twice, regarding my inclusion on the upcoming postcard round.

Both emails bounced back, apparently you don't exist!

Mick.

23. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    must be a glitch, will advise Sean. You can reply to my normal email's (existing postcarders) or PM me

24. Anupam Basu

Anupam Basu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent. I shall start with a moderate number of cards in my first round and see how it goes.

-A

25. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Current List
    Anupam Basu
    Bastiaan
    BirgerA
    blackmelas
    bmccarthy007
    Buster6X6
    gr82bart
    hal9000
    JanetMc
    jeffeb
    Jim Bradley
    Mark Fisher
    MenacingTourist
    Nige
    pandino
    reellis67
    rst
    Tom Kershaw

If your APUG name doesn't appear here and you think it should.. contact me, I must have filed your email/Pm in a safe place!

Nige.

26. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, Nige. Can you explain this again, please? I'd like to be included.