Pouring chemicals while rotating drum?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by rustyair, Mar 4, 2013.

1. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi all,

Is there a way to pour c41 developing chemical in to the 2940 drum( Two 8x10 films) while it's rotating without the lift? (I have the old version cpe 2 without the lift)

It takes me about 5 sec to pour the developer in and I think it's causing the unevenness on the film. ( I don't understand why sometimes I get perfectly even films tho)

I've heard that lowering the temperature and increase the developing time would help for no lift cpe users. Do you have any recommended degrees and time?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Changes in time and temperature for color film will cause color problems. You can get a funnel and hose to pour while it rotates.

3. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Shoot, Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!!!

Also, Do you the difference between the triangle shape jobo print clip and non triangle shape one? (pic attached)
    Do you use all six of them for secure two 8x10 sheets in jobo print drum? How do you use them?

Attached Files:

4. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use two of the clips without wings. They slip over the tall ridges in the drum to prevent the sheets from coming loose and overlapping. I use on on the center ridge on the side that has three tall ones, and another on the ridge opposite the first. You can put them on after you load the sheets or before. I tend to do it before and just slip the film down between the ridges as I load.

5. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The clips with wings are used to separate smaller sheets of film so they will not slide over one another.

6. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Google this. There are some articles/forum responses on set-ups to circumvent the lift. There are photos with some IIRC.

7. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Guys, Should I consider pouring Blix while drum rotates also? Or pouring developer with funnel and hose is enough?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  8. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I believe in pouring whilst the drum is rotating. The same as with a Jobo with lift.

9. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Do you do it for both developer and blix? or just developer? :smile:

10. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The whole idea of doing it whilst the drum is turning is to cover as much of the film, as soon as possible, in as consistent way as possible, regardless of the chemical.

11. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Blix is to completion, it shouldn't matter how you get it in. You're not aiming for even, you're aiming for total removal of silver.

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also put the clips in to aid in loading sheet film, then take the clips out when I put the lid on. I have had them come loose and bounce around on the emulsion.