power supply for Saunders 7700

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by dousterhout, Dec 25, 2011.

1. dousterhout

dousterhout Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello all,

We just bought a Saunders/LPL but it doesn't have a power supply. Does anybody have any thoughts? The couple new options are way too expensive. Is there a way to buy an off brand power supply and hook it up? I am good with a soldering gun. :smile:

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just match your bulb voltage and wattage. However, a generic power supply probably won't save you that much money, they can be expensive.

3. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a 12v lighting transformer with mine, the sort designed for low voltage halogen downlights. Cheap, and regulated too. I'm in the UK but I dare say similar units are available in the States. You need a 12v 105W version like this.

4. dousterhout

dousterhout Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Ic, RH. A generic 12v 105w version is not too bad... I found them as inexpensive as 9.95 at Amazon... but it doesn't discuss the amperage, although they say it is for dimming halogen lights.

My daughter is the one that got the enlarger for Christmas... ok... I found it... and rats... it did not have the power supply... but I am learning a lot in the process ... :smile: .. I would say that is a good thing.

Will 105W be enough? Is the amperage important/critical? Is the power just for the bulb?

Thanks,
    Dean

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  5. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lamp in the C7700 colour and VC heads is 12v 100W, so a 105W transformer will be fine. Put it this way, mine hasn't gone phut yet and I've been using it for years :smile:. It would be worth making sure that someone hasn't fitted a different lamp though, and if they have, replace it with the one for which the enlarger was designed.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    VA = (V x A) = (Voltage x Amperage) = Watts.

So 105 VA = 105W, which, as mentioned should work fine.