PPPD Developer Tips

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Silverpixels5, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I plan on trying Don's PPPD developer this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on mixing and using this developer. Has there been any success in splitting the developer into two parts for a longer shelf life? Also, was anyone able to get a longer tray life out of it by adding any additional chemicals? I havn't mixed up the solution yet, so any advice anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I got some of the chemicals from Don a few weeks ago. I mixed as per the instructions and it all went very well. I did use alcohol to mix the phenidone (sp?) I did not exhaust the developer but was very happy with the look of the Azo in this particular non Amidol developer.

lee\c

3. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I split Don's PPPD into individual Propylene Glycol stock solutions about 2 months ago. The stock solutions remain very stable, and working developer tray life is good.

I have been comparing 8x10 Azo Contact prints developed in Ansco 130, PPPD, Ascorbate/Phenidone paper developer and Amidol. I will probably do some Azo/Amidol this weekend. Take a look at this APUG thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7832&page=1&pp=10