Pre 67 Period Correct Medium Format SLR?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by hoffy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greetings all,

Not sure if I have mentioned it before, but I am a bit of a closet Hotrod show person, especially vintage type rods.

When I go to some of these shows, I like to break out my Koni-Omega Rapid. It certainly has been known to get tongues wagging and is appreciated when I talk to some of the people at these shows, but I have a bit of a love hate relationship with that camera (sharp as a tack when nailed, but the RF is a PITA).

I have toyed with getting a Graphic, but I have decided that I don't want to take that move (range finder again)...so I am going to be on the lookout for a Medium Format SLR that is period correct.

So, I know the 'Blad 500C was produced in the right era. Can anyone else give me a rundown on other MF SLR's that might also fit the pre '67 bill?

Cheers

2. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bronica S2a and earlier incarnations. Pentacon Six... Kowa Six, plus a few others I'm sure.

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think the Rolleiflex SL66 is in that era.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kiev 6 (1967)

5. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes Rolleiflex SL66, but it as already very 60s in its style. The Hasselblad has a more vintage look compared to it.

6. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A Rolleiflex TLR is easy to use and takes great photos, but has a fixed lens.

Kent in SD

7. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best if you don't want to go the Hasselblad route would be the Bronica S2A, really nice lenses and great to use. I have a Pentacon Six as well, but these are not as reliable as the Bronica.
    I have also been known to frequent car shows and I will often take a Rollei, don't go all that close but very portable...and people like 'em!

8. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies.

I had thought of a TLR, but I would be happier with a SLR. When was the S2a released?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya Press and Mamiya 23 cameras are period specific, but of course they are also rangefinders.

The original Pentax 67 came out in 1969 - is that close enough?

10. Argenticien

Argenticien Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I knew generally the S2 and S2a were late 1960s. This guy (link) says specifically S2 in '66 and S2a in '69, so if that's correct, you'd need an S2 (or a plain S, even older) to achieve pre-'67. I can confirm that all that chrome gets tongues wagging as well, even if it's not quite as big as a Rapid. Hotrodders should appreciate its look. The only other people (dog-walkers, not hotrodders) on an otherwise empty street early this Sunday had to come and have a look when I was shooting with my S2.
    --Dave

11. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    plaubel makiflex 9x9 in '61. but it's rare and expensive. personally I would opt for a tlr, I think they have more style. my favorites are the mamiyas with their interchangeable lenses. the c series began in '56, the c3 is from '62.

12. JoeA

JoeA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Bronica is your choice I'd recommend the model 'C' the S2 (1965) and the S2A (1969) both had problems with the gears meshing, or striping, between the body and the film magazine. I had one S2A that went thru 3 film backs and the backs are not worth fixing.
    The C (1964) & C2 (1965) don't have this problem because the body/film magazine is one solid piece.
    I do regret that I sold my C it was solid as a rock, other than a CLA which included an adjustment of the ground glass, I had no problems.

Good luck!
    Joe

13. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my Bronica C (especially since I paid $5 for it!!)
    dsc028471.jpg

14. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or from Japan.... The Kalimar/six sixty is, I believe, also from that era.

Ken